Pande-reviews: 2009.0 (FSOL - EBS Vol.4)

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Re: Pande-reviews: 2002.0 (AA - The Isness)

Post by mcbpete »

I wonder if the FSOL boys have considered putting their stuff on the GhostBox label for their AA/non-FSOL psych-stuff. Seems a perfick match for their aesthetic :

Pandemonium wrote:
Pandemonium wrote:Charles Trenet (French singer) - Credited for some sample on Meadows. It's said Meadows contains samples or melody from La Mer, a 1943-46 song by Trenet, or to be more precise, a 1966 version of that song performed by The Fluegel Knights (aka King Richard's Fluegel Knights) - it's extremely hard to dig out music by these guys to confirm anything... and I can't hear anything Meadows connected in the original La Mer (although, there are hundreds of versions of La Mer...)
p.s. always loved the throwback to Dead Cities on Meadows (the child calling out at about 2:10). Listening to that and La Mer it certainly sounds similar in key, though can't hear anything overtly sampled. They may have done something really cunning and used granular synthesis to make the opening drone string sound after the narration.
ronniedobbs
Expander

Post by ronniedobbs »

I still think if the Abbey Road ver of Galaxial had been released as a 15 min Orb style single, instead of The Lovers getting treatment, it could have changed the media perception of Isness as a semi-electronic album, to an all out Pink Floyd style psych masterpiece. Oh the days of extended singles! We miss ya
play this backwards and you'll hear evil messages
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Oh God yeah, the first time I heard the Dead Cities scream in Meadows was one of those really memorable moments of listening to music.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Pande-reviews: 2002.1 (Deadly Avenger Mixes, AA - MHDS singl

Post by Pandemonium »

Deadly Avenger - Day One (FSOL Cosmic Jukebox Mixes) (23.09.2002)
Illicit Recordings - DEAD CS 02 / DEAD 02

Image Image

Damon Baxter aka Deadly Avenger debuted in 2002 with his downtempo/trip-hop/funky-breaks album Deep Red, on his own Illicit recordings. He was making music since '95, but this was his album debut. The album (mixed by Howie B.) was well received and spewed a few singles. The FSOL mixes are present on the most famous single - We Took Phelam. The CD version of the single has the second version of the mix, while the 12" single has the first. How this guy contacted FSOL for remixing, remains unknown.

The track that's being remixed by FSOL, 'Day One' contains a Guitar riff that's sampled from Steve Khan (American jazz-fusion guitarist / multi-instrumentalist) but I don't know what track exactly. To be honest, I think I heard the original track for the first time today, doing this review. It's a cool laid back funky track, and the ride just doesn't do the job until the last 90 seconds that are pretty good.

03. Day One (FSOL Cosmic Jukebox Mix V2) [4:23] / Mixed By – Howie B. / Remix – The Future Sound Of London

- The CD version of the mix (FSOL Cosmic Jukebox Mix V2) opens very indie-rock-like and has that Mello Hippo feeling of sarcasm, also, mixed elements of both FSOL and AA. The track goes strong, borrowing only the background bass from the original - though later the characteristic funky guitar kicks in. The last minute is typical FSOL wizardry of environments and awesomeness.

B1. Day One (FSOL Cosmic Jukebox Mix) [5:22] / Engineer – Stone Freshwaters / Remix – The Future Sound Of London

- The 12" version has a softer opening, and it has more of the original elements, though the acid lfo's make it crazy again.

Deadly Avenger - Day One (original version)

- the FSOL mixes can not be found on YouTube, so use your own archive and/or searching skills :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FSOL/AA - Radio Magnetic, Glasgow [promo mix] (07.10.2002) bootleg / unreleased

A half-hour promo mix for the Isness and the Mello Hippo Disco Show single (that wasn't out yet). This same mix was played on the XFM show two weeks earlier, and on the Radio Nova show three days later.

The mix contains 15 minutes of the MHDS mixed versions, and another 15 minutes of Isness tracks, with a little mystery teaser for the fans, a unreleased track (to this day) at 24:22 called 'Wendover Woods' - a short and brilliant piece with saxophone and guitars.

00:00 Intro
00:31 The Mello Hippo Disco Show (Yo-Yo Instrumental)
05:44 The Mello Hippo Disco Show (She Sells Electric Ego)
12:02 The Mello Hippo Disco Show (Trying to Make Impermanent Things Permanent)
12:48 The Mello Hippo Disco Show (Slo-Mo)
15:30 Guru Song
18:52 High Tide on The Sea of Flesh
24:22 Wendover Woods - exclusive (to date) unreleased track.
25:45 Goodbye Sky (Reprise)
25:54 Her Tongue Is Like a Jellyfish
28:31 End

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AA - The Mello Hippo Disco Show [single] (25.11.2002)
Future Sound of London Recordings - FSOLCD103 / FSOLLP103

The first try of the duo to make a prog-rock / sleazy pop song. The music is actually fairly complex with lots of organ layers, mellotrons, guitars and effects, it's to be expected when 25-26 musicians contribute to this track (see the list of musicians in The Isness review). MHDS is supposedly inspired by 'Strawberry Fields Forever' and 'I Am The Walrus' by The Beatles.

The lyrics are weird and seem to be rambling, until you hear them a few hundred times and realize they are mocking the fake people who present themselves to be on the top of the world while feeling empty inside.

Artwork by Jim Cherry, the guys as Amorphic Arts and Paula Flack. I see that the photo of the woman is streched/distorted a little, but what's with those toes? (they look unnaturally long to me...)

Tracklist
1. The Mello Hippo Disco Show (Yo-Yo) [5:21]
- A beautiful alternate version of the final version. Actually, the guitar solo on 2:06 reminds me very much of The Sea by Morcheeba - very similar playing can be heard on 1:18 ( It's a standard guitar improv variation, these two tracks are probably not connected at all, but still, it triggered my memory... Big Calm by Morcheeba is one of my favorite pot-smoking albums BTW :)

2. The Mello Hippo Disco Show (She Sells Electric Ego) [6:43]
- A hippier version with spliced female vocals. A lot of other elements are done cut-up-style on this version.

3. The Mello Hippo Disco Show (Jacknife Lee Mix) [4:23]
- The only mix on this release done by a non-FSOL member. Jacknife Lee is an Irish producer, having a couple of fairly accepted big beat/breaks albums at this point. This mix is also done in the downtempo cut/up breaks. A long time ago I knew what the FSOL/Jacknife connection was, but now I totally forgot...

4. The Mello Hippo Disco Show (Slo-Mo) [4:57]
- Psychedelic lyric-less version, though the female vocals are around. It makes a brilliant stop at the three minute mark and dives into a two-minute environment culminating with the opening of the next track. I've seen this move too many times yet it's impressive every damn time!

5. The Mello Hippo Disco Show (Hippo-Drone) [2:46]
- An... (lets call it) Indian version of the track, with sitars and flutes and some unidentified stuff mixed in.

6. The Mello Hippo Disco Show (Trying To Make Impermanent Things Permanent) [3:31]
- An alternative working sketch of the oldest version of the MHDS, going back to '97 when it was 9+ minutes long. Lots of experimental mellotrones and guitars buzzing around.

7. The Mello Hippo Disco Show (The World's In Transience) [1:52]
- A strings & brass-section classical take on the theme. This would actually be perfection if there weren't for the occasional effects and vocal samples.

8. The Mello Hippo Disco Show (Life's A Flow) [4:21]
- the same as "The Mello Hippo Disco Show" on the Abby Road / Mispress version of The Isness.

Last edited by Pandemonium on Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross

Re: Pande-reviews: 2002.1 (Deadly Avenger Mixes, MHDS single

Post by Ross »

Really wish they'd put the full version of TtMITP on it, love that track.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Yes, the full version of 'Trying To Make Impermanent Things Permanent' is truly monstrous.

I hope you guys know this, but it still needs to be said occasionally - these reviews would've gone 5 times slower and they'd never be with this much detail if it wasn't for Ross and his research - so Ross, thank you for that.
I'm building on the facts and finds of Ross, which is in most cases more than 2/3rds of the job done :)
- Sometimes I sample and remix his words, sometimes I straight out copy/paste, but almost always start from his findings.
Ross

Post by Ross »

All good man, I'm really glad you're doing all this as it's helping me slowly update the site as you go along. :)
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

These reviews are great for a newcomer like me. Thanks to both of you for all the info :)
seedy
Antique Toy

Post by seedy »

yeah without slighting anyone else i think every true FSOL fan owes mcpete, ross, pande for their hard work

you guys literally are the glue of this fanbase and we would be a scattered uninformed mess without you!

very thankful :)
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Thanks man - though I always feel a bit of a fraud. Was oddly more clued up on the boys when the internet coverage of them was quite limited, but now there's so much my brain can't actually take any more stuff in of theirs !

The other two boys definitely help this place look more knowledgeable :D
Ross

Post by Ross »

We wouldn't have this place without you, so I think we owe you thanks for that alone!
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

only can say thanks for Fsolboard and their people

Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Pande-reviews: 2002.2 (FSOL - A MPB Mix Vol.3, XFM)

Post by Pandemonium »

FSOL - A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding in Your Mind Vol.3
(XFM London, The Rinse) [radio mix] (27.12.2002)

- bootleg / first official release 15.11.2008, currently unavailable

One hour psychedelic mix set broadcast on James Hyman's 'The Rinse' show on XFM.
I think all the (FSOL Mix) tags should be removed from the tracks, or they can be present on all of them, because these aren't pre-arranged mixes, they are just live effects with cutting and mixing some bits. The tracklist given by the band lists 'Magical Mystery Tour' by The Beatles, but the song cannot be heard during the mix.

And just look at the tracklist - all out psychedelic progressive stuff from 1967-1979 period, with only a few new stuff mixed in.
So, MPB3 - deconstructed & explained - enjoy (just scroll down, play the whole thing on YouTube, and read away...)

(or scroll to the end of the post to see just the plain tracklist)
(there are a lot of fixes in this one, wrong band names, album names instead of track names, the usual... only FSOL can pack 45 psychedelic tracks in less than 60 minutes!)

00:00 The Mothers of Invention - Flower Punk - (Verve Records, 1967)
- 'Flower Punk' parodies the garage rock staple "Hey Joe", and depicts a youth going to San Francisco to become a flower child and join a psychedelic rock band. Additionally, the track makes a reference to "Wild Thing", one of the songs that defined the counterculture of that period. Hendrix (a friend of Zappa) is also present on the cover of the album.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Mothers-Of-Inven ... se/4830249
- hear it:

00:31 Aphrodite's Child - Funky Mary - (Mercury, 1969)
- A Greek trio (Vangelis, Roussos, Sideras) formed this cult band in France. This track is from their second (less known) album.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Aphrodites-Child ... se/2014815
- hear it:

03:13 Frank Zappa - Apostrophe' - (Discreet, 1974)
- From one of the most stable Zappa albums, this one is taken form the jam sessions with Jack Bruce (the bassist of Cream) and Jim Gordon (the most requested session drummer in the 60s/70s). Zappa later stated that it was hard for him to play with Bruce because they didn't have the same stuff on their minds, but the jam was good.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Frank-Zappa-Apos ... se/4951944
- hear it:

07:18 The Edgar Broughton Band - There's No Vibrations, But Wait! - (Harvest, 1970)
- English psychedelic rock group founded in 1968 in Warwick, England.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Edgar-Broughton- ... se/2021837
- hear it:

??:?? Group - The Untitled One - (?????)
- (I'm not sure what this is and if it's present at all on this mix... it's probably not present.)

09:39 The Who - Magic Bus - (Decca, 1968)
- Written by Pete Townshend during the time that My Generation was being recorded in 1965. However, it was not recorded by The Who until 1968 and officially released in the US in July 1968. The song's arrangement uses Claves (a Latin percussion instrument) and makes use of the Bo Diddley beat.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Who-Magic-Bus/release/1955649
- hear it:

10:20 Those Who Gathered - I Remember Here - (?????)
- (it's a short snippet, but I can't place it... probably the band/track names are wrong...)

10:41 The Free Association - (I Wish I Had a) Wooden Heart (Sped-Up 33/45) - (13 Amp Recordings, 2002)
- The Free Association was a short project band gathered by David Holmes (a deep house / downtempo / trip hop producer).
- The track is sped-up, probably from 33 to 45 RPM on vinyl, and maybe pitched-up a little, to sound even funnier.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Free-Association ... ase/119239
- hear it:

??:?? Vanilla Fudge - Le Fensach - (?????)
- (I'm not sure what this is and if it's present at all on this mix... A track named Le Fensach does not exist, and they probably made a mistake, the Chicago Transit Authority track is mixed with The Free Association, and Vanilla Fudge is nowhere to be heard.)

11:24 Chicago Transit Authority - Free Form Guitar - (Columbia, 1969)
- It's mixed in together with The Free Association track.
- Terry Kath's prowess as a guitarist was so strong that even Jimi Hendrix became a major fan of Kath's playing. According to the album's original liner notes, the solo performance of Kath on "Free Form Guitar" was created without the use of any pedals. In a nod to Hendrix's guitar expressionism (Hendrix most notably used wah and fuzz pedals), Kath instead plugged directly into his studio amplifier and improvised the entire track in one take for the purpose of pure tone.
- 'Free Form Guitar' is also noted as being another influence on the genre of noise music.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Chicago-Transit- ... se/2172078
- hear it:

13:37 Boom Bip - Roads Must Roll - (Lex Records, 2002)
- And it wouldn't be an FSOL mix if they didn't throw in some newest sound and yet somehow melt it into the old ones. Lex Records was a subdivision of WARP, and I really don't know why this album is tagged hip-hop (I have nothing against hip-hop, but this is a brilliant experimental electronic album).
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Boom-Bip-Seed-To ... ease/55924
- hear it:

15:58 FSOL & Daniel Pemberton - End of The World (aka Catastrophe) - (unreleased, later on Jumpin' & Pumpin', 2010)
- Yes, I peed a little on the opening strings and it took me a while to remember the sound is from Environents 3. The working title Catastrophe credits only Pemberton, so maybe FSOL wrote the second part of the track (not present in this mix). It melts perfectly with the next track.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Future-Sound-Of- ... se/2301077
- hear it:

16:46 The Verve - Feel - (Hut Recordings, 1992)
- One of the earliest non-album songs by The Verve.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Verve-Shes-A-Sup ... ase/381984
- hear it:

17:56 Sun City - Chukeba Three - (?????)
- (it's a short snippet, but I can't place it... probably the band/track names are wrong... possible connections in the link below)
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Various-Bistro-E ... ase/829881

18:45 Roy Wood - You Sure Got It Now - (Jet Records, 1975)
- Roy Wood wrote, produced and played every single sound on the whole album. He made the cartoon cover too.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Roy-Wood-Mustard/release/1966437
- hear it:

19:05 ????? - ????? (electronic beats)
- (it's a short snippet, but I can't place it... the beats are new and I like them a lot...)

19:32 Bobby Thompson - Foxfire (Instrumental) - (Capricorn Records, 1974)
- From the only solo release of Thompson, an American banjoist and guitarist (also keyboardist) and sessionman.

19:49 Frank Zappa - Catholic Girls - (Zappa Records, 1979)
- 'Catholic Girls' is critical of the Catholic Church, and satirizes "the hypocrisy of the myth of the good Catholic girl." While Zappa was in favor of the sexual revolution, he regarded himself as a pioneer in publicly discussing honesty about sexual intercourse.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Zappa-Joes-Garag ... se/1473127
- hear it:

20:38 Tony Evans Band - The Witch - (?????)
- released later on a compilation in 2010 named The Many Sides of Tony Evans.

21:55 The Mothers of Invention - Get a Little - (Bizarre Records, 1970)
- The second posthumous Mothers album released after the band disbanded in 1969, largely consists of live recordings. This one was recorded in The Factory, New York, 1969.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Mothers-Of-Inven ... ase/546950
- hear it:

22:15 Park - The Foot - (?????)
- (I can't place it... probably the band/track names are wrong... sounds newer...)

24:14 Jefferson Starship & Paul Kantner - Hijack - (RCA Victor, 1970)
- Jefferson Starship is an American rock band formed in the early 1970s by several members of the former psychedelic rock group Jefferson Airplane.
- Kantner describes in 'Hijack' the construction of a starship beginning in 1980, which "ought to be ready by 1990."
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Paul-Kantner-Jef ... se/1132944
- hear it:

25:35 Leon Russell - The Ballad of Hollis Brown - (Shelter Recording Company Inc, 1974)
- An American musician and songwriter, who has recorded as a session musician, sideman, and maintained a solo career in music.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Leon-Russell-Sto ... se/4887643
- hear it:

27:46 Queen - Keep Yourself Alive - (EMI, 1973)
- Written by guitarist Brian May, it is the opening track on the band's debut album Queen (1973).
- hear it:

29:54 Livingston Taylor - Hush A Bye - (ATCO Records, 1970)
- Brother of singer-songwriter James Taylor and a faculty member at Berklee College of Music.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Livingston-Taylo ... se/2365274

30:59 Richie Havens - Somethin' Else Again - (Verve Forecast, 1967)
- His music encompassed elements of folk, soul, and rhythm and blues. He is best known for his intense and rhythmic guitar style (often in open tunings), soulful covers of pop and folk songs, and his opening performance at the 1969 Woodstock Festival.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Richie-Havens-So ... se/2214522
- hear it:

31:44 Ben Harper and The Innocent Criminals - Beloved One - (Virgin Records America Inc, 1999)
- Harper plays an eclectic mix of blues, folk, soul, reggae and rock music and is known for his guitar-playing skills, vocals, live performances and activism.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Ben-Harper-And-T ... se/1424860
- hear it:

33:12 Joni Mitchell - Help Me - (Asylum Records, 1974)
- Released in January 1974, infusing Mitchell's folk-rock style, which she developed throughout her previous five albums, with jazz inflections.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Joni-Mitchell-Co ... ase/892417
- hear it:

35:06 The Beatles - All You Need Is Love - (Capitol Records, 1967)
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Beatles-Magical- ... se/1850514
- hear it:

35:14 The Charles Lloyd Quartet - Journey Within - (Atlantic, 1967)
- Recorded at the Fillmore Auditorium featuring Keith Jarrett, Ron McClure, and Jack DeJohnette.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Charles-Lloyd-Qu ... se/3086716
- hear it:

37:00 Barbra Streisand - Love Theme from "A Star Is Born" (Evergreen) - (Columbia, 1976)
- It was composed and performed by Barbra Streisand with lyrics by Paul Williams. As composers, Streisand and Williams earned an Academy Award for Best Original Song.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Barbra-Streisand ... se/1473154
- hear it:

37:29 M.O.O.C. - The Free Machine - (?????)
- (I can't place it... probably the band/track names are wrong...)

39:05 Prem Joshua - Random Select - (?????)
- German musician, active since 1991, learned the flute at the age of five, at 18, he traveled overland to India studying the indigenous folk music of countries along the way. Learned to play the sitar from Ustad Usman Khan and Osho.
- (the name of the track is probably not correct, can't place the real name though...)

39:38 Dino Valenti - Time - (Epic, 1968)
- Chester William "Chet" Powers, Jr. was an American singer-songwriter, and a member of the rock group Quicksilver Messenger Service. He was also known by the stage name 'Dino Valenti'.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Dino-Valente-Din ... se/1718551
- hear it:

40:48 The J.B. Pickers - Freedom of Expression - (London Records - 1971)
- J.B. stands for Jimmy Bowen (born November 30, 1937) - an American record producer and former pop music performer.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Various-Vanishin ... ase/411525
- hear it:

43:10 Man - Parchment and Candles - (Dawn Records, 1969)
- Man are a rock band from South Wales whose style is a mixture of West Coast psychedelia, progressive rock, blues and pub rock.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Man-2-Ozs-Of-Pla ... ase/496138
- hear it:

45:02 Mahavishnu Orchestra - You Know, You Know - (Columbia, 1971)
- Well, this track was sampled in Massive Attack's "One Love", Mos Def's "Kalifornia", Black Sheep's single "Similak Child", David Sylvian's "I Surrender", Cecil Otter's "Rebel Yellow" and Blahzay Blahzay's "Intro" from Blah Blah Blah album.
- Mahavishnu Orchestra is a jazz-fusion group led by John McLaughlin.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Mahavishnu-Orche ... ase/557286
- hear it:

44:28 Bobby Charles - Small Town Talk - (Bearsville, 1972)
- An ethnic Cajun, Charles was born as Robert Charles Guidry in Abbeville, Louisiana, and grew up listening to Cajun music and the country and western music of Hank Williams.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Bobby-Charles-Bo ... se/2563226
- hear it:

47:42 Soft Machine - Feelin' Reelin' Squeelin' - (Polydor, 1967)
- The very first single of one of the central bands in the Canterbury scene, and helped pioneer the progressive rock genre.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Soft-Machine-The ... ase/445900
- hear it:

48:51 Buffalo Springfield - Expecting to Fly - (ATCO Records, 1967)
- Written by Neil Young and performed by Buffalo Springfield.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Buffalo-Springfi ... se/4616818
- hear it:

49:54 Randy California - Downer - (Epic, 1972)
- Guitarist, singer and songwriter and one of the original members of the rock group Spirit, formed in 1967. Snake Hips samples present :)
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Randy-California ... se/2947091
- hear it:

51:08 Tito Puente & His Concert Orchestra - Black Brothers - (Tico Records, 1973)
- The son of native Puerto Ricans, Ernest and Ercilia Puente, living in New York City's Spanish Harlem community, Puente is often credited as 'The Musical Pope' and 'The King of Latin Music'.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Tito-Puente-And- ... ase/569825
- hear it:

53:06 The Polyphonic Spree - Have a Day / Celebratory - (Good Records, 2001)
- The Polyphonic Spree is a choral rock band from Dallas, Texas that was formed in 2000 by Tim DeLaughter.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Polyphonic-Spree ... ase/137527
- hear it:

54:47 Funkadelic - Good Old Music - (Westbound Records, 1970)
- Funkadelic was an American band most prominent during the 1970s. The band and its sister act Parliament, both led by George Clinton, began the funk music culture of that decade.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Funkadelic-Funka ... se/3020811
- hear it:

56:27 Frank Zappa - Excentrifugal Forz - (Discreet, 1974)
- Another B-side from the Apostrophe album, this time only with Jim Gordon on drums.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Frank-Zappa-Apos ... se/4951944
- hear it:

57:14 Frank Sinatra - My Way - (Reprise Records, 1969)
- The lyrics were written by Paul Anka and set to music based on the French song "Comme d'habitude" composed in 1967 by Claude François and Jacques Revaux. Anka's English lyrics are unrelated to the original French song.
- from: http://www.discogs.com/Frank-Sinatra-My ... se/1855115
- hear it:

58:40 End

And here's a plain tracklist, for the fans that want to save it:
[+] Oooh and did you know that ...
00:00 The Mothers of Invention - Flower Punk (1967)
00:31 Aphrodite's Child - Funky Mary (1969)
03:13 Frank Zappa - Apostrophe' (1974)
07:18 The Edgar Broughton Band - There's No Vibrations, But Wait! (1970)
??:?? Group - The Untitled One - (?????) - (I'm not sure what this is and if it's present at all on this mix...)
09:39 The Who - Magic Bus (1968)
10:20 Those Who Gathered - I Remember Here (?????) - (probably the band/track names are wrong...)
10:41 The Free Association - (I Wish I Had a) Wooden Heart [played at 45rpm] (2002)
??:?? Vanilla Fudge - Le Fensach (?????) - (I'm not sure what this is and if it's present at all on this mix...)
11:24 Chicago Transit Authority - Free Form Guitar (1969)
13:37 Boom Bip - Roads Must Roll (2002)
15:58 FSOL & Daniel Pemberton - End of The World (aka Catastrophe) (unreleased until 2010)
16:46 The Verve - Feel (1992)
17:56 Sun City - Chukeba Three (?????) - (probably the band/track names are wrong...)
18:45 Roy Wood - You Sure Got It Now (1975)
19:05 ????? - ????? (electronic beats)
19:32 Bobby Thompson - Foxfire (Instrumental) (1974)
19:49 Frank Zappa - Catholic Girls (1979)
20:38 Tony Evans Band - The Witch (?????)
21:55 The Mothers of Invention - Get a Little (1970)
22:15 Park - The Foot (?????) - (probably the band/track names are wrong...)
24:14 Jefferson Starship & Paul Kantner - Hijack (1970)
25:35 Leon Russell - The Ballad of Hollis Brown (1974)
27:46 Queen - Keep Yourself Alive (1973)
29:54 Livingston Taylor - Hush A Bye (1970)
30:59 Richie Havens - Somethin' Else Again (1967)
31:44 Ben Harper and The Innocent Criminals - Beloved One (1999)
33:12 Joni Mitchell - Help Me (1974)
35:06 The Beatles - All You Need Is Love (1967)
35:14 The Charles Lloyd Quartet - Journey Within (1967)
37:00 Barbra Streisand - Love Theme from "A Star Is Born" (Evergreen) (1976)
37:29 M.O.O.C. - The Free Machine (?????) - (probably the band/track names are wrong...)
39:05 Prem Joshua - Random Select (?????) - (the name of the track is probably not correct...)
39:38 Dino Valenti - Time (1968)
40:48 The J.B. Pickers - Freedom of Expression (1971)
43:10 Man - Parchment and Candles (1969)
45:02 Mahavishnu Orchestra - You Know, You Know (1971)
44:28 Bobby Charles - Small Town Talk (1972)
47:42 Soft Machine - Feelin' Reelin' Squeelin' (1967)
48:51 Buffalo Springfield - Expecting to Fly (1967)
49:54 Randy California - Downer (1972)
51:08 Tito Puente & His Concert Orchestra - Black Brothers (1973)
53:06 The Polyphonic Spree - Have a Day / Celebratory (2001)
54:47 Funkadelic - Good Old Music (1970)
56:27 Frank Zappa - Excentrifugal Forz (1974)
57:14 Frank Sinatra - My Way (1969)
58:40 End

Want to read about the other MPB mix series? Click away:

A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding in Your Mind Vol.1 (Kiss FM Manchester) (Aug.1997)
A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding in Your Mind Vol.2 (BBC Radio 1) (23-28.12.2001)
A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding in Your Mind Vol.3 (XFM, The Rinse) (27.12.2002) --> It's this post.
A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding in Your Mind Vol.4 (Resonance FM) (28.01.2003)
A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding in Your Mind Vol.5 (XFM) (14.09.2005)
A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding in Your Mind Vol.6 (XFM) (21.09.2005)
A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding in Your Mind Vol.7 (BBC SixMix) (30.10.2005)
A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding in Your Mind 2xCD Vol.1 (Cosmic Space Music) (24.11.2008)
A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding in Your Mind 2xCD Vol.2 (Pagan Love Vibrations) (21.09.2009)
A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding in Your Mind Vol.8 (FSOLDigital.com) (07.11.2009)
A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding in Your Mind (Mojo Mix CD) (05.01.2010)
A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding in Your Mind 2xCD Vol.3 (The Third Ear) (01.11.2010)
A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding in Your Mind 2xCD Vol.4 (The Wizards of Oz) (16.03.2015)
Last edited by Pandemonium on Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ross

Re: Pande-reviews: 2002.2 (FSOL - A MPB Mix Vol.3, XFM)

Post by Ross »

Pandemonium wrote:The working title Catastrophe credits only Pemberton, so maybe FSOL wrote the second part of the track (not present in this mix).
Pretty much - Catastrophe is the string piece, which was then later incorporated into the FSOL track. The beaty section is an ISDN era piece.

Awesome work on this one man - updates added to the tracklist in the TGP section :)
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: Pande-reviews: 2002.2 (FSOL - A MPB Mix Vol.3, XFM)

Post by Pandemonium »

I'm looking at MPB 4 now, it's gonna be a hard one to crack :)