Pande-reviews: 2009.0 (FSOL - EBS Vol.4)

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: Pande-reviews: 1997.0 (FSOL - ISDN Shows '97 Part 1)

Post by Pandemonium »

So I think I'm onto something :)

The track that's been bothering me with it's mysteriousness, present in Kiss 1 Part 1 at 4:11
(see here: http://www.ilovecubus.co.uk/fsolboard/v ... t=60#p3875)
(hear Kiss 1 Part 1 here:

and 6 months after that post was posted, I think I found something...
this track is definitely some sort of demo-version of Many Moons Away, a track by FSOL released on Archives Vol.7 in 2012.

- hear it here: (
or better yet if you have the album version, it's longer, and the second half of the track really connects with this one.

So, what do you guys think??
- I would say this track was unfinished sketch and that later pieces of it formed Vit, and much later Many Moons Away too.

--- and another thing, Ross, can you give another listen to the unknown track on Groove Radio at 1:48:15 - I'm sure it's an Archive (or something) track but I can't place it...
You're doin' too much, do less.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Pande-reviews: 1997.1 (FSOL - We Have Explosive)

Post by Pandemonium »

FSOL - We Have Explosive (longform single / EP + remixes) (17.03.1997)
Virgin - VSCDX 1616 / VSCDT 1616 / VST 1616 / VSTDJ 1616 / VSTXDJ 1616 / VSCDJ 1616 //
Astralwerks - ASW 6196 / ASW 6196-6

Image Image

Image Image

The bastard track of FSOL. It can compete with the best big-beat tracks of the 1996/97 period; like Firestarter, Block Rockin' Beats, Breathe, Dig Your Own Hole, Atom Bomb, Absurd, ...hell even Little Wonder by Bowie belongs here. Brutal stabs, acid, Run-DMC samples and cyberpunk everywhere. It would be nice to know who sourced the "We Have Explosive" words here...

They probably just wanted to prove (or maybe lost a bet) that they can make a big brutal dancing track that will compete in the mainstream. Garry mentioned in a few interviews that they wished (many times) this track was never conceived, but after a ten-or-so years they learned to love it and even made new versions od WHE and even played it on some Amorphous Androgynous gigs.

Like Papua New Guinea, We Have Explosive took some time to grow in popularity, even though it was released on the Dead Cities album and on the Semtex promo vinyl half-a-year ago, finally in March 1997 there was a need for a official expanded single (the promo versions were out the first week of February though). Maybe they didn't want to make music like this, but I'm glad they did, because We Have Explosive is the track that got me into FSOL, and I guess lots of other teens from the late '90s. I really think that a large chunk of their fans today are still fans because of WHE.

Again, we have the usual suspects plus some new people in the artwork/design department. Oil texture by Buggy G Riphead, Layout and typography by FSOL.

One of the new guys is Ian Kay, additional design @ Hills Archer Studios by Ian Kay. Kay was hired by Virgin / Capitol / MCA on a regular basis to do design and re-design, mostly on old albums that get special remastered editions (like Iron Maiden, Mike Oldfield, Sex Pistols) but sometimes on a less known new climbing acts like this one. He still works in this field, you can visit his website on http://www.hillsarcherstudios.co.uk/index.php

The other new guy is a more interesting story. Run Wrake is credited for sleeve image photography, but he's much more than that. The image was taken from his short film Jukebox, and actually the whole WHE video was taken from this short film, which makes Run Wrake the director of the WHE video. Take a look at the video: (the video is re-edited version by Wrake, and has new elements that don't appear on Jukebox)

The Future Sound of London - We Have Explosive (Director: Run Wrake, 10.02.1997)

and then take a look at the Jukebox short film from 1994:
(the WHE part starts around 2:47, but here the audio is Move On Up by Curtis Mayfield, another funk classic! - the epic cover is at 3:24)

Run Wrake lost the cancer battle about an year ago, died at 48, too young for this kind of unique animator talent. He will be remembered as one of those people who are recognized by their style after only 2 seconds of looking at it. If you're interested in other works by him, visit http://www.runwrake.com/ or his YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/runwrake/videos

Tracks from the various WHE releases (there were more than 10):

01. We Have Explosive (Part 1) (7:19) (aka Original Version)
- Part 1 is just a minute longer than the album version, containing the Hero movie samples and the Womb environment which later was named Accompaniment for Melodious Expression on Environments 3 in 2010. @ 6:17 Dustin Hoffman as Bernie Laplante, "It's tough out there. It's a goddamn jungle" from the Movie Hero (1992) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104412/). The arrow shot and a few more bits come from Albert Pyun's Knights (1993) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107333/), also a lot of dialogues from this movie were sampled in the ISDN transmissions.

02. We Have Explosive (Part 2) (2:48) (aka Leon Mar Mix)
- Leon Mar aka Oil remixed this part, and him being a drummer (among other things) naturally he cut-up the drums and made a great breaks piece with a scary bass and an apocalyptic feel.

03. We Have Explosive (Part 3) (5:04)
- Opening samples sampled from Rockchester by Fats Comet. The whole track has an old-skool funk feel, something we will see a lot of after 2001 and the new Amorphous Androgynous style. The second half of the track has awesome bassline, the ending minute is pure funk gold. (I wonder who played the bass here...)

04. We Have Explosive (Part 4) (6:17)
- Opens in an ambient fashion with beautiful long synth notes in the back, then turns into a breaks and cut-up drum version of the original. The acid line here feels like real electricity going through your body!

05. We Have Explosive (Part 5) (7:53)
- The last and longest piece is epic ambient, one of my favorites. Opens with live drums and live bass with beautiful environments in the background, and they ride like that for a while, and almost two minutes in a flute appears out of nowhere, blowing my mind (slight Lifeforms/Cascade memento in my head). The blissful ride continues on and on and on...

06. We Have Explosive (7" Edit) (3:25) (aka Radio Edit) (aka Video Version)
- As heard on the video above. It is a different cut, somewhere between Part 1 and the fast parts of Part 4.

07. We Have Explosive (Oil Funk Remix) (3:36)
- Super funk bass opening. Leon Mar is a funky motherfucker. Really, the groovy bassline just slaps your face through the whole track, making you miss the drums and occasional guitar hearing it the first time, but make no mistake, they're there and they should be heard.

08. We Have Explosive (Oil Dub) (6:23)
- The drumbreak on this mix is taken from a legendary funk track called Amen, Brother by The Winstons (it's one of the most widely used drumbreaks that personally spawned the birth of hip-hop, breakbeat and scratching cultures). The bass slipping in arround two minutes in is just ridiculous (in a good way). Half-way thru the track takes a whole different slower funk beast. Is that harmonica I hear in the back...? It is... haven't noticed that before. Sax too? OK, now we enter the jazz improv state, and on the 5 minute mark we return to the opening patterns like nothing happened (the slow funk echoes are still there though).

09. We Have Explosive (Mantronik Plastic Formula #1) (5:37)
- Kurtis Mantronik gives further funk experiments to the ears. Sampling Apache by Incredible Bongo Band, Lyn Collins and his own King of The Beats (which is further sampled from '70s funk classics) the result is amazingly danceable floor-spinning track. Mantronik was newcomer to London and was taking a 6 year break from his famous Mantronix duo break up. He started a solo carrer the next year with the incredible I Sing The Body Electro album.

10. We Have Explosive (Mantronik Plastik Formula #2) (6:04) (12" Promo only)
- This is actually a rare track, appearing only on 12" promo for DJs. It is similar to the first mix, samples the same tracks, but treats the acid part more and gets a whole different feel, something like Part 4.

11. We Have Explosive (Mantronik Plastic Formula #1 Edit) (3:14) (Promo only)
- An edit present on the CDr and 7" radio promo copies.

The samples contained in the album version of WHE, which is very similar to Part 1 here, were reviewed in the Dead Cities album:
- We Have Explosive (at 0:17) sample Tougher Than Leather (at 3:48) by Run-DMC (Profile, 1988)
- We Have Explosive (at 3:58) sample I'm Not Going Out Like That (at 0:02) by Run-DMC (Profile, 1988)
- We Have Explosive (at 0:48) samples Hit It Run (at 0:11) by Run-DMC (Profile, 1986)
- the upper three can be heard here. (http://www.ilovecubus.co.uk/fsolboard/v ... 5075#p5075)

- The opening of WHE Part 3 is taken from Rockchester (at 0:46) by Fats Comet (World, 1986)

- WHE Mantronik Plastic Formula #1 (at 0:12) is taken from the opening of Apache by Incredible Bongo Band (Pride, 1973)

- WHE Mantronik Plastic Formula #1 (at 1:45) is taken from Think (About It) (at 1:23) by Lyn Collins (People, 1972)

- WHE Mantronik Plastic Formula #1 opening is taken from the opening of King of The Beats by Mantronix (Capitol, 1988)

- WHE (Oil Dub) opening is taken from Amen, Brother (at 1:27) by The Winstons (Metromedia, 1969)

Pheewww, this turned out to be a lot of work, but I didn't have this much fun with We Have Explosive since I first gave it a full spin 15 years ago :)
Last edited by Pandemonium on Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
OffLand
Ill Flower

Re: Pande-reviews: 1997.1 (FSOL - We Have Explosive)

Post by OffLand »

Awesome write up. As much as I love the WHE ep, I was always confused as to why "We Have Explosive (Herd Killing)" wasn't a part of this release.

Also while I'm here I'll post the 2011 rebuild again for everyone:
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

We Have Explosive (Herd Killing) was part of the Semtex release and the Wipeout game soundtrack, both reviewed in this thread earlier (in the 1996 posts).

I get what you're saying but on the other hand, I'm glad FSOL aren't one of those bands that repeat same tracks on different releases (singles, EPs, best-of-s).

2011 rebuild - I'll get to that later as I'm going chronologically :)
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

Oh I know you have or will cover them. Just wanted to share a track that I wish was on this EP. :D
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Inspiring moment: the doom laden slowed down guitar and backing environment from part 5 turning up halfway through part 3. Those last three tracks on CD1 have a really wonderful feel to them. Part 5 is one of my favourite FSOL tracks.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Ross (or anyone), did you read the first post on page 16?

I'd really like some feedback on that...

PS - I also updated the ISDN Show Promo CD, the 2 minutes environments section on track 4 just hit me this morning it's:
- Kaaawa (Little Star), Is It Real, WHE Part 1 environments on track 4 before Womb starts.

PPS - Ross, on the ISDN Show Promo CD you say it's a late 1996 Kiss transmission - isn't it more plausible to be the late 1996 Fun Radio France transmission? And the Promo CD has a French version too...
Ross

Post by Ross »

Fun Radio, Kiss, VPRO - all roughly the same set. I believe it's been described as all three of them at some point.

First post on this page - Many Moons Away/Vit - possibly. I don't have the CD with me at the minute, I'm not even 100% convinced it's Vit as much as a track the sounds on Vit are sampled from. They throw in tracks they've sampled into their mixes sometimes. It's all just a bit too vague to say for certain. But yes, you're right, it could well be a WIP track from 1992 which went on to be Vit and possibly Many Moons Away. Will give it more of a proper listen when I'm back at home.
Ross

Re: Pande-reviews: 1997.0 (FSOL - ISDN Shows '97 Part 1)

Post by Ross »

Pandemonium wrote: 1:48:15 ????? - I feel like I know this one, either heard it on previous 1996 shows or somewhere on the Archives...
The synth arpeggio was used a lot during the '94 shows. Not sure about the breaks.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Pande-reviews: 1997.2 ([EBV] Oil & Headstone Lane)

Post by Pandemonium »

Oil - Slight of Hand EP (1997) Electronic Brain Violence – EBV 1207

The first independent release on FSOL's own EBV label. 12" only. This one and the next one have no exact known date of release. All I can guess is they were released in the first 4 months of 1997.

Long time friend and collaborator Leon Mar (real name: Noel Ram) was a good choice. The alias used here (Oil) is for Mar's more ambiental sound using trip-hop, breaks and some big beat - being the hype thing back then.

This EP was re-released and expanded 10 years later on FSOLDigital, but we'll talk about that... 19 years of reviews later :)

Noel Ram is best known for his drum'n'bass works as Arcon 2 in 1997, releasing tracks for Reinforced Records (owned by 4Hero). Another alias he used was Torus, again for Reinforced Records - his last single was released in 2001, he's off the map since then. I don't know if he's working as studio / session drummer or producer, or not doing music at all...

A1. Slight Of Hand
- As heard on so many FSOL mixes... groovy danceable and very enjoyable track.

B1. Psychocrab
- Also heard on many FSOL mixes, a denser and heavier track.

B2. Incubus
- This one is actually kinda exclusive and unique to this release. The beats are even more dense and shattered, almost like with industrial elements.

Oil - Slight of Hand

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Headstone Lane – Knuckleduster EP aka Headstone Lane EP (1997)
Electronic Brain Violence – EBV 1208

OK that cover is just horrible. I can't understand how they allowed this, with so many graphic material laying around. I think there was a font effect in Microsoft Word doing the letters like this with just 2 clicks - I was playing with it as a computer/graphic noob a lot...

Simon Wells was the second friend who got released on EBV. The 2x12" EP was also re-released 10 years later as a full album, but the edgier tracks that found their way on the new release sound more d'n'b and fresher so I doubt they were made in the same period as the ones we have here. So, as usual, the full album will be reviewed when the chronicles catches up to it.

Simon Wells was best known as a punk kid playing in a locally known punk band called Snuff (in the 1986-1991 period, then they broke up, got together later with a different line-up without Wells). Wells released another drum'n'bass album in 2000 called The Rise - Descent. After that it looks like he got back to punk and is active to date with the Southport band, their last album Southern Soul was released in April 2013.

Trying to review track-by-track was a failure, because the whole EP sounds about the same (not in a bad way of-course). So we'll talk about the EP in general. Very cold and dark d'n'b sound, the punk feel is present too. Reminds me of AFX a little, with processed guitars and heavier / slower beats.

A1. Knuckleduster
B1. Beers
C1. Crashed
C2. Garage
D1. The Germ
D2. Back In The Day

Headstone Lane – Knuckleduster
Last edited by Pandemonium on Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ross

Re: Pande-reviews: 1997.2 ([EBV] Oil & Headstone Lane)

Post by Ross »

The version of Slight of Hand with the 'from the ground up' vocal is from a mix CD, those vocals are from the previous track on it (can't remember the details). Not a FSOL mix.
Codringher
Hardhead

Post by Codringher »

Ross wrote:The version of Slight of Hand with the 'from the ground up' vocal is from a mix CD, those vocals are from the previous track on it (can't remember the details). Not a FSOL mix.
http://www.discogs.com/Stereo-MCs-DJ-Ki ... ease/26267
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Nice find again :)

Well, that's why I post these - to clear all the misunderstandings.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Pande-reviews: 1997.3 (FSOL - ISDN Shows '97 Part 2)

Post by Pandemonium »

It became a normal thing for FSOL to take drastically new directions every two years or so. The fans already got used to it, even expected for FSOL to take them once again in a new music universe. In March 1997 the new directions started, and went into a totally unexpected spaces in the next few months. FSOL got into psychedelic music played by more conventional (let's say normal) instruments, while still using sampling and their brilliant post-production, slowly going towards psychedelic funk and progressive rock, getting it all back to the roots - the '60s and the '70s - one of the most important music eras, regarding quality, originality and creativity-wise, in the human history.

FSOL - ISDN Transmission 9, London (BBC Radio 3, Mixing It) [live mix] (25.03.1997)
- bootleg / first official release 07.03.2010

The first transmission to present post-Dead Cities material. This material is still not obviously leaning towards the words of the opening of this post, but we can hear that these compositions are more classically structured, as opposed of the previous loop-styled electronic ambient and beats - now we have something moving towards psychedelic / funky beats and ambient that is more modern classical in structure than before.

Part 1:
00:00 Sendero Luminoso (aka The Shining Path) - (from The Archives Vol.5, 2008)
- The legendary unreleased track (for so long)... finally got it released on Archives 5 in 2008. Almost entirely recycled with effects and beats from PNG and flutes in the Yage / Cascade style, the guitar/bass moments add a whole new direction making it an entirely new track.

06:59 A Sweltering Heat - (from The Archives Vol.5, 2008)
- Ambient track with some vocals... strange vocals. Where are these sourced from?

09:00 Glacier (Part 2) - (from Environments 2, 2008)
- Beautiful guitar ambient piece that ended up right where it should've - as Environments 2 ending track.

14:39 Exploded Funk - (from The Archives Vol.5, 2008)
- Another recycled track with new elements. The drums are the same ones from the Herd Killing / We Have Explosive sessions, but the funky bassline is entirely new. One of my all time favorite tracks!

19:00 Transmission End

Part 2:
Robert Sandel Interview - a very interesting interview indeed, about the electronic music versus rock music in general...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FSOL - Peel Session [live mix] (08.05.1997) bootleg / unreleased

A live Peel Session via ISDN from the Earthbeat studio, discovering new material and probably the start of the Isness sessions. Almost all of these tracks are unreleased, it would be awesome if they podcasted the entire Peel session!

00:00 Transmission Intro & Interview
- When Peel died in 2004 I worked in Channel 103, a underground/mainstream radio station in Skopje. We were all really sad about Peel going, and there was a tribute to Peel transmission made by me and my friends. I made jingles and snippets from this intro - "I think you've started... without me..." & "Speak to me John... Speak..." were really fitting into the "RIP Peel tribute show". The first show turned out great and it was picked on as a regular friday night Peel tribute show for quite some time.
- Tomita - Firebird (Infernal Dance of King Kastchei) (from 1975) sampled in the intro here. Firebird original is by Stravinsky.

01:47 Tudor Oak (Manor Farm) (aka Exchanged) - (from The Archives Vol.7, 2012)
- A weird action packed track that appeared on EBS2 as Manor Farm and finally on Archives 7 as Exchanged.

08:18 The Shining Path (Original Demo) - (unreleased)
- Named original demo, being different (crazier) from the official Sendero Luminoso version from the Archives.

12:29 Trying To Make Impermanent Things Permanent (The Mello Hippo Disco Show early demo) - (unreleased)
- Sketches really of what will become The Mello Hippo Disco Show on the Isness album in 2001. This track has other parts that did not end up on the Mello Hippo. No vocals either.

21:02 Thinking About Thinking About Thinking (aka Private Psyche and Inner Life) - (from The Archives Vol.5, 2008)
- Thinking About Thinking About Thinking is the working title of Private Psyche and Inner Life, as referred by John Peel. A crazy track indeed.

27:27 How To Be A Genuine Fake - (unreleased)
- One more track that is unreleased to date. What does the vocal say at the opening? It has a very '70s psychedelic feel.

30:25 Outro & Interview

33:54 End

FSOL – Fun Radio, France [live mix] (13.06.1997) bootleg / unreleased

The full version of the 13.06.1997 French show, which the old 9 part bootleg normally cuts off during the track that became Chawawah, Tiny Space Birds & Theram many years later. That track exists here in full, which includes the opening guitar from a rather famous Kinks track (but what Kinks track Ross? is it a sample - or a cover...?).

One other thing, hearing this full hour version and comparing it to the 9 part bootleg from the Disenchanted days, it's definitely the same one, only the 9 part one was incomplete until now. No radio station or venue is noted, other than it was broadcast to France, and a lot French words can be heard in-between the tracks. The set is most notable for it being a rare outing of what was set to be the fifth FSOL album, particularly in regards to the last tracks which has not been heard since...

00:00 Transmission Intro

00:56 The Shining Path (Original Demo) - (unreleased)

05:48 Trying to Make Impermanent Things Permanent (The Mello Hippo Disco Show early demo) - (unreleased)

14:23 Private Psyche and Inner Life - (from The Archives Vol.5, 2008)

20:13 How to be a Genuine Fake - (unreleased)

23:10 Popadom (Does He Do As If She Is) - (from The Archives Vol.3, 2007)
- The only transmitted version of Popadom. The additional title to the Popadom could be a working title, taken from the old 9 part bootleg.

29:02 We Have Explosive (7" Mix aka Video Mix + Semtex Untitled Mix) - (from WHE single + Semtex single, 1996/97)
- We Have Explosive starts as the 7" Mix aka the Video Version, but after two minutes of so enters new territory and is some kind of unreleased mix.

34:47 Papua New Guinea - (from Accelerator, 1991)

40:10 East Pacifica - (unreleased)
- East Pacifica is solo, without the Kaaawa part that contains the Little Star sample (how is it spelled actually, Kaaawa, Kaawa, Kaawaa, Kawaa...? ).

42:38 Unreleased demo track, later became Chawawah & Tiny Space Birds & Theram - (from The Otherness, 2004 / The Peppermint Tree, 2008)
- Has the drums from Chawawah, the guitar riff from Tiny Space Birds and the hopping sound from Theram, plus a bunch of other elements...

49:33 Unreleased demo track, later became Indian Swing - (from Alice in Ultraland, 2005)
- The percussions and some of the melody of Indian Swing in this one... It's amazing really how early they had the sketches for the next three AA albums.

52:50 Unreleased demo track
- The weird dance d'n'b groove track in the full form.

60:04 End

FSOL – Fun Radio, France (13.06.1997)

Want to read about the other ISDN mix series? (bootleg or otherwise) Click away:

Mixing It (09.05.1994) // ISDN Transmission 2 New York (11.05.1994) // ISDN Transmission 5 Rome (16.05.1994)
ISDN Transmission 4 Netherlands (09.09.1994) // The 3D Headspace Tour (1994) // Kiss FM '94 Transmission
ISDN Transmission 14 Barcelona (22.10.1995)
BBC Radio 1 Steve Lamacq Session (26.10.1996) // ISDN Transmission 3 Edinburgh (28.10.1996)
BBC Radio Leicester (01.11.1996) // BBC Radio Aire Leeds (02.11.1996) // ISDN Transmission 6 France (05.11.1996)
ISDN Transmission 7 Manchester (06.11.1996) // VPRO Radio Netherlands (11.11.1996) // ISDN Transmission 11 Berlin (06.12.1996) // Fritz Radio Berlin (06.12.1996) // London UK (1996)
ISDN Transmission 8 Los Angeles (22.01.1997) // ISDN Transmission 16 France (27.02.1997) // ISDN Show (1997)
ISDN Transmission 9 London (25.03.1997) // Fun Radio France (13.06.1997) --> it's this post.
Last edited by Pandemonium on Fri May 27, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Ross

Re: Pande-reviews: 1997.3 (FSOL - ISDN Shows '97 Part 2)

Post by Ross »

Pandemonium wrote:01:47 Tudor Oake (Manor Farm) - (unreleased)
? It's Exchanged from Archive 7.

(Manor Farm) was mentioned by Seafar once, and that's also how it's listed on EBS2.

Does He Does As If She Is - where did this come from? For some reason I recall Seafar (again) saying this title was made up...