FSOL remix or original?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
kornbean
Hardhead

FSOL remix or original?

Post by kornbean »

Hey guys, I have a little mystery for you to solve here. I've had this question for quite a while, but I never got around to asking it. Anyhow, there's this track that plays during one of the obscure "3D Headspace Tour" recordings.

(starts at about 17:30)

This is the first place that I encountered this track and immediately began wondering if it was a FSOL track that just never saw an official release. Unfortunately, due to the near non-existence of any information regarding this recording, I didn't see any way of finding out. Some time after, however, I gave Essential Mix '93 a listen and realized that this track makes an appearance there as well, albeit in a rather brief and stripped down form.

(starts at about 59:20)

Now, this track plays not long before Mountain Goat and as the commonly provided tracklist would suggest, the nearest given track is 13th Floor by Axis. Unfortunately, it seems that this track's only internet presence is in relation to this Mix, which leaves me no way of identifying it as the track that you hear in these recordings. So, my question to you guys is: Do any of you know if the track in E Mix '93 is indeed this 13th Floor track and the one in the 3D Headspace Tour recording possibly a FSOL remix, or are they two different versions of a FSOL original?
Pinyaka
Hardhead

Re: FSOL remix or original?

Post by Pinyaka »

What show is that 3D Headspace video from?
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Yeah I've never heard that one before at all or indeed much of makes up that set either ... :shock:
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

There's quite a lot of stuff going around as 3D Headspace Tour, including an hour long bootleg of a show that was sent to an American radio station on cassette - obviously they didn't have an ISDN linkup. I'm also guessing 'radiotrance mix' is from the 3D Headspace Tour. If I remember correctly, one of the half-hour sections is a complete mystery, no obvious FSOL material in there at all.

This particular track - no idea.
kornbean
Hardhead

Post by kornbean »

Pinyaka wrote:What show is that 3D Headspace video from?
Well, all we know is that it was part of the 3D Headspace Tour as the host announces and that it was broadcast from WMNF, a station in Tampa, Florida. No known date except that it was sometime during '94.

Here is the second part of the program.
Ross wrote:If I remember correctly, one of the half-hour sections is a complete mystery, no obvious FSOL material in there at all.
I'm guessing that's this section I've here. I'm pretty sure I've heard one of the other two pieces in one of FSOL's other broadcasts, maybe the 12 hour Kiss FM one. But yeah, pretty obscure stuff.
Ross

Post by Ross »

12 Hour kiss was just four of the 3 hour ones from 1993 pasted together which Kiss ran in 1995 for reasons unknown, so it'll probably be somewhere on one of those too, then.
kornbean
Hardhead

Post by kornbean »

Ah, I didn't know that. I guess you learn something new every day. :D
Pinyaka
Hardhead

Post by Pinyaka »

Ross wrote:12 Hour kiss was just four of the 3 hour ones from 1993 pasted together which Kiss ran in 1995 for reasons unknown, so it'll probably be somewhere on one of those too, then.
Any way to listen to these shows without having to deal with the 12 hour show on Soundcloud?
kornbean
Hardhead

Post by kornbean »

FSOL used to offer all six of these 3 hour shows from the Pod Room of their old yage.co.uk/newtesting, but it seems that they've been indefinitely discontinued due to licensing costs. From what I understand, these mixes aren't exact recordings of their original transmissions, but probably better in quality than anything out there. That being said, I'm sure there are plenty of bootlegs roaming the net. Here is one that I'm aware of.
Pinyaka
Hardhead

Post by Pinyaka »

kornbean wrote:FSOL used to offer all six of these 3 hour shows from the Pod Room of their old yage.co.uk/newtesting, but it seems that they've been indefinitely discontinued due to licensing costs.
Do you know if that's what's happened to the MPB from the podroom? I've heard the first two and would love to get copies, but they're never there anymore.
kornbean
Hardhead

Post by kornbean »

Unfortunately yes, along with the Electric Brain Storms (excluding Vol. 7) and the Radio 1 Essential Mixes.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Licensing costs, selling for just a couple of pounds each but probably paying just as much in licensing to cover royalties for all the music on them. Shame, really.
kornbean
Hardhead

Post by kornbean »

By the way Ross, I was rather curious about this Kiss FM show from '94. Seems like a pretty rare, almost non-existent bootleg. Anything outside the obvious that you can tell us? Is it any good? :)
Ross

Post by Ross »

It features Distant Memories and She Fell Backwards/Stark Tower, which makes it rather interesting in terms of content, helpfully placing these around the ISDN era. A fair amount of unknown stuff in there. Not a great quality bootleg, from memory. I'm sure it's around somewhere...