Could someone explain the boys' current record deal?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
ronniedobbs
Expander

Could someone explain the boys' current record deal?

Post by ronniedobbs »

So I'm a little confused as to what the publishing and distro deals are for the fsoldigital imprint. It seems some of the releases are 100%?independent from fsoldigital, but some are published (or reissued) on Passion Music, so what does the MCPS logo stand for? Then they are distributed by Essential Music in UK. That's a mouthful but doesn't even include Monstrous Bubble records, what exactly Virgin will do with their back catalog, or even if AA is still on Harvest? Ross or anyone with knowledge pleez drop some!

ps - it would be great to see stuff like Environments 4 in shops instead of just online, or even get a feature spot on something like iTunes or beatport, c'mon the guys deserve some respect for their years of service.
play this backwards and you'll hear evil messages
ronniedobbs
Expander

Re: Could someone explain the boys' current record deal?

Post by ronniedobbs »

Ah I see MCPS is a copyright collective for UK. one question down.
play this backwards and you'll hear evil messages
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: Could someone explain the boys' current record deal?

Post by Ross »

The FSOLDigital stuff is all FSOLDigital really (published by FutureSong which is the publishing company run by Freedom, their management), although with the CD releases they are manufactured and distributed by Pinnacle or Passion or Essential, depends what and where you read. This is basically the company who bought out Jumpin' & Pumpin' back in the 90s, so it's a contact they had when getting the discs put out. It works out nicely, really - Pinnacle get the records made and out to shops (meaning FSOL don't have to get involved in that side of things, leaving them to get on with the music), and get a cut of the physical sale.

Virgin - own everything from Tales of Ephidrina to We Have Explosive and keep the albums in print and sell them. I noticed Lifeforms in the '2 for £10' sale in HMV lately, it's entered 'reliable back catalogue seller' territory it seems.

Amorphous - aren't signed to Harvest, I think that was a one off thing.
A lot of 'labels' are actually simply names to be seen as fully independent when they're really a part of another, larger label. Future Sound of London Recordings, which released The Isness in the UK originally, was really just their own sub-section of Artful Records. At the moment, that's all Monstrous Bubble is really - MPB3 was released on History Records, simply with the Monstrous Bubble name on the sleeve. Time will tell if the MPB label really takes off as a label of its own.

So, in simplicity, everything post-WHE is owned by FSOL themselves, with the ex-J&P label manufacturing and distributing the discs for them. Except Alice in Ultraland, which is still on Harvest, and MPB3 which is technically owned by History.

I think.