ultra rare FSOL first uk internet broadcast

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
mr.jangles
Hardhead

ultra rare FSOL first uk internet broadcast

Post by mr.jangles »

I was trawlling through some old tapes, and stumbled accross a copy of the first ever simultanious internet broadcast on UK Radio. Why would this be interesting to you? Because FSOL took over Radio One and produced a 2 hour long soundscape that is RARE as feck. I have uploaded the 90minutes I had on tape...the only reason I even have this copy is through a friend who stayed up to stupid o'clock and taped it. He was a huge FSOL fan and a tech-head before tech existed. He recored it on a TDK-D90 and I transfered it using a HD Mini Disc on to youtube. Here's the link. Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/hpaFRsFIVoc
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: ultra rare FSOL first uk internet broadcast

Post by Ross »

Don't have any headphones with me so I can't listen - is this going to be Essential Mix '94?
mr.jangles
Hardhead

Post by mr.jangles »

no ...this is before the essential mix started i think....at around 46 mins they add the login code..shows the age..listen and you will see..from the other feedback i am getting..it seems i am the only person alive that owns a copy ...trust me you will love it.!
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

I don't think this is back from '92 especially as it features some ISDN-era material - I'm thinking this was release more around '94, possibly around their May '94 performance on radio one (very similar choice of tracks). So no this definitely isn't 'ultra rare FSOL first uk internet broadcast' (this ain't ebay you know, you don't have to hype up youtube links :lol: )

EDIT: Yeah you even have Pete Tong's voice at 1:48, I wonder if it's the 04/06/94 show ?
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Hmm... I don't think we have heard this exact one before...
I checked all the (old ones - not pod room) transmissions from 1992 to 1996 briefly - and we don't have one that begins with Cerebral.

This one opens with cerebral, has a lot of Ephidrena / Lifeforms / ISDN samples everywhere, I noticed the "even if stopped the clock gives the right time twice a day" & "there were valleys... meadows" speach.

So this could be one of those dozens of ISDNs that were not on disenchanted ftp - Ross, what do you think ? :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
mr.jangles
Hardhead

Post by mr.jangles »

For those of you still questioning the authenticity of this I will give you all the info I have. I’m not what you’d call a massive FSOL fan. I like some of their stuff and have a few CD singles. My friend was a HUGE FSOL fan and stayed up late to tape this live. I am not 100% on the date but I pretty sure it was 1993.
Pete Tong did the first live simulcast on the internet and Radio One, when the world wide web was still shiny and new.
There are only 2 edits made. My friend dipped the sound when the news came on.
I joined side A and B of the tape at about 46mins in when I loaded it up. That‘s it.
I thought you all might like it as you’re such huge fans.
I have nothing to promote, I don’t even work as a DJ anymore, but I have a lot of tunes to share.
I’m surprised some body thinks I went to the trouble of faking this. Why would I bother? If you really want to verify it, why not email FSOL or Pete Tong? …whatever….knock yourself out.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Don't get upset Mr. Jangles :)
Your first post sounded like a promoter would say it - so MCBPete made a joke about it :)
You said:
"the first ever simultanious internet broadcast on UK Radio" - this is almost certainly not correct, but we'll take a deeper look and see.
"it seems i am the only person alive that owns a copy" - how do you know somebody else didn't also recorded it and shared online before?

You have to understand, FSOL in the 1992-1994 period made more than 40 these transmissions, lots of them very similar to each other, there even could be some that are exactly the same - broadcasted on different radios around the world.
We have heard around 20 from this period (old bootlegs like the one you share were shared on a FTP site, and newer Pod Room releases that FSOL themselves released on their website).

So, bottom line, this needs closer examination, so it would be nice if you send me the audio file (upload it on sendspace.com or something simialr and send me the download link) so I wouldn't have to download crappy audio from youtube. Send me the best quality possible.

Thanks
B Cool
Live Long & Prosper :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
kornbean
Hardhead

Post by kornbean »

Ah, this broadcast makes a lot more sense with the knowledge of the two sides being joined. This is indeed the Essential Mix '94. The greatest clue is that you can hear Robert Fripp playing guitar. What you hear up until 46:00 is the second half of the broadcast and afterward is the first half. Unless that is FSOL chopped up a recording of the mix and rehashed it for a later transmission. It's possible, I suppose, what with the countless number of broadcasts they're purported to have done.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

kornbean wrote:What you hear up until 46:00 is the second half of the broadcast and afterward is the first half.
Hah you're completely spot on, that's exactly what it is - great job man! So Ross managed to get it straight away without even hearing the mix - now that's talent :D
mr.jangles
Hardhead

Post by mr.jangles »

you know mr kornbean...i think you are bang on with the a&b sides being wrong..seems to ring a bell in my head now ..i wish i was still in contact with the guy who recorded it for me at the time...he would have all the answers..got the dilemma now of ..to re-record the right way round..MMMMmmm..and as far as sending to you for examination..give me time it will be a 1st for me...and as for my comment about the tape being unique etc...kinda joking..i just freak out when i finally find something ive got that appears to not already be out there, mainly on youtube, i have 1000`s of 12" vinyl tracks and in total, must have found 2 that aint been shared...
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

mr.jangles wrote:got the dilemma now of ..to re-record the right way round..MMMMmmm..
You don't need to worry, you can just get the 'right way round' version here - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mr.jangles
Hardhead

Post by mr.jangles »

awsome...going to download....and chuck my tape in the bin hahahahahaaaa...thanks for everyones input...now i know what ive got..much love
mr.jangles
Hardhead

Post by mr.jangles »

still going to re-do the youtube thing....cant have it the wrong way round...that would never do.
kornbean
Hardhead

Post by kornbean »

mr.jangles wrote:and as far as sending to you for examination..give me time it will be a 1st for me...and as for my comment about the tape being unique etc...kinda joking..i just freak out when i finally find something ive got that appears to not already be out there
The only reason I knew what to make of it is that I have an mp3 of the broadcast which I downloaded, probably the same file that Pete has linked to. I wish I had some personal tapes of FSOL, but as fate would have it, I was far too young at the time to have experienced them first-hand.
mcbpete wrote:So Ross managed to get it straight away without even hearing the mix - now that's talent :D
I was wondering how he managed to do that. I guess this particular broadcast is quite common. I do believe I've encountered those who strive to collect the Essential Mixes. Either that or Ross has some sort of second sight.
mr.jangles
Hardhead

Post by mr.jangles »

dude..if it means that much to ya, i would send you the tape ( seriously )...now ive loaded it into the twit machine i have no further use really..i was just going to put it back with the rest...i am old enough to own a few rare things,orb,lots white labels,i even have a CD of space by the klf.bought on the day of release also on same as the day they deleted it..not sure if you know of that one...anyway all sorted on the ultra rare mistake,just made this my first port of call to spread the word on what i thought you fsol lovers would enjoy..my bad..i will go back in my box...hahaha..cheers