Fractional Difference - Exploring FSOL song-by-song

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Re: Fractional Difference - Exploring FSOL song-by-song

Post by Ross »

I remember my copy being the first thing I ever had delivered by courier, and they just left it outside the house without ringing the doorbell. Funny the way little things like that stick, isn't it?

2001 Remixes (inc. Cosmic Jukebox)
-Robert Miles - Paths (Future Sound of London 'Cosmic Jukebox' Remix)
-Robert Miles - Paths (Future Sound of London 'Cosmic Jukebox' Remix (Edit))

Gaz Cobain - Church of Simian support slot (06/07/01)

Gaz Cobain - The Big Chill, Lulworth Castle, 18/08/01)
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Remember nabbing this one at my local Woolworths - Guessing it must've charted over here?
Ross

Post by Ross »

Not according to the Official Charts page, surprisingly. I suppose CD sales were high enough in 2001 for slightly more unusual stuff to end up in Woolies? I remember WHSmith often having pretty obscure things in, like Arkarna's debut album which never charted at all.

Some DJ stuff:
Mello Hippo Disco Radio Show on Ammocity.com
Mello Hippo Disco Radio Show on XFM

Gaz also did some DJ touring in London, Bristol and Nottingham, which are briefly discussed on various entries on the transmissions page, although no recordings are known to exist.

For those two love statistics, in terms of releases I'm currently on 65/195, and transmissions 62/117, which works at 40% of the way through the current catalogue.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

I remember seeing this album in various music stores in 2002/03 and hesitated for quite a while buying it after I really started to get into The Isness because I thought of this to be another tedious remix collection of an old dance track:) was positively surprised when finally getting around lending it an ear, it was a nice addition of the Isness album in a quite similar mood with a lot old FSOL style also in it. Always found the lovers to be a great track with those shiny synth/mellotron washes, and other haunting, beautiful stuff like requiem and the final two tracks.
Magnificient Insignificance
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

That was an absolutely cracking read - Possibly my favourite of your Fractional Differences so far in the wild tales of the album's progress. When I read this: "Practically a book in itself..." it made me think: Have you thought of compiling all these into physical book form? I would so buy something like that, like a proper long-form FSOL history paper/hardback !
Ross

Post by Ross »

Cheers! Yeah, I'd actually been planning that one out in my head for a couple of weeks because it's such a ridiculous tale. Checked a lot of it over with Brian, too, got more info on the timescale of how things worked, but I get the feeling I've probably still only scratched the surface as far as the album goes.

Book-wise, I'm very seriously considering it once I'm up-to-date with it all. The whole thing would need a serious proof-read and formatting, but I'm thinking it's certainly a strong possibility, maybe doing it through one of those self-publishing sites.
molo
Hardhead

Post by molo »

I really enjoyed your write up of The Isness, I didn't know most of that background stuff. I drifted away from FSOL a bit and then when I bought The Isness I knew it wouldn't be Ephidrina pt2, but I was still disappointed. Weirdly I was listening to a lot of 70's prog at that time, Camel, Hatfield & The North, Gong, National Health etc, but still The Isness jarred with me so much when I heard it. And it's never grown on me.

That aside, the write up is great, I again enjoyed the detail put into it.

If you do ever want a proof-read / copy edit let me know, my wife is a freelance proofreader and she's partial to FSOL, you'd get mates rates for sure! :D
Ross

Post by Ross »

Cheers! I'll have a think about it closer to the time (my current budget is £0 but hopefully that'll change...).

Humanoid - Sessions 84-88
There are 23 tracks so y'know, just click on them on the page for track-by-tracks, not listing them all here!

Future Sound of London Present Amorphous Androgynous: A Psychedelic DJ Experience, Stereoleto Festival, 05/07/03

Amorphous Androgynous - The Isness & The Otherness
Amorphous Androgynous - The Otherness
-The Lovers (Love is the Lover)
-Maharishi Raga
-The Band (Divinity)
-Rural Green
-Chinese Whispers
-The Conga Run
-Theram
-Toy Piano
Ross