FSOL - Music for Three Books / Music from Calendars

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

FSOL - Music for Three Books / Music from Calendars

Post by Ross »

https://fsol.bandcamp.com/album/music-for-3-books

Music for 3 Books compiles the three download-only EPs originally released with the first three Ramblings of a Madman books, 2017-2019. Available as a digital album and CD!

The 2017-2020 Calendar Albums are now on Bandcamp also. Each Calendar Page also offers a pre-order for a vinyl LP called Music from Calendars, which is described as "what was considered the best tracks have been selected from the 4 calendar albums and reassembled on the 180g vinyl". Note: this is the same LP on every page, not four separate vinyl releases.

CD and LP are shipping on 15th March.
fsolish
Hardhead

Re: FSOL - Music for Three Books!

Post by fsolish »

Finally available in FLAC ! :D
Ross

Re: FSOL - Music for Three Books / Music from Calendars

Post by Ross »

Ok, a quick peek shows that the timings on the book tracks are very slightly different, largely I believe due to inevitable differences in indexing, although 'Episode' is nine seconds shorter, suggesting it may crossfade into 'Magnify Within the Thought'.
'Control Vista' from the 2018 Calendar Album has been reassigned from a Filter & Pulses track to a FSOL:DIGITANA SX-1 one. Otherwise everything appears to be the same. The Calendar Albums all feature new cover designs.

No final tracklist has been given for Music from Calendars, but I helped pick the tracks and can confirm 'Artificial Placement of Emotion', 'Surrounding the Garden is a Fog' and 'Frozen Air' will definitely take their rightful places on the album.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Apparently, Music from Calendars will be available on CD as well as LP! Here's the blurb and tracklist:

Since 2017 FSOL have released whats called Calendar albums, which are digitally delivered monthly tracks that form a 12 track album by the end of the year. This release picks the best tracks from the last 4 years and brings them together in a seamlessly mixed 50 minute journey - 11 songs from FSOL, Humanoid and Synth-a engineered and mixed by Yage at FSOL's 9Lwest Studios.

Frozen Air
Surrounding The Garden Is A Fog
Artificial Placement Of Emotion
Blacked Out Windows
Commensalism
Near Field
Alertions
Riverbed
Obscured By Dark Intervals
Propagate
Memories Of Yesterday

CDTOT80 / LPTOT80

Blurb for Music for 3 Books:
Over the past 5 years The Future Sound of London have released three A6 booklets - stories of FSOL's past - images and text. When purchased the books were accompanied by 20 mins of music - These have now been put these together to form a 1 hour seamless journey

There have been inevitable delays due to Covid but these should be shipping from FSOLDigital very soon. Wider distribution from other stores will commence on 14th May.

Covers differ slightly from the Bandcamp editions:
808Spense
Hardhead

Post by 808Spense »

Interesting, some good tracks on the calendar album but other than Surrounding the Garden I probably listened to Dox 2, Petroleum, and track 5 from the 2018 calander the most. Third time out for Riverbed as well.
Ross

Post by Ross »

And fourth time for Propagate, given that it's been a compilation. Obviously two strong favourites in the FSOLDigital camp there.
Trigga Bo
Tingler

Post by Trigga Bo »

Yes, for the fourth time "Propagate", for the third time "Riverbed" :D
Track #5 from the 2018 calander, "φῶς" also has another name like "Light"
At the moment, I'm wondering how the tracks will be mixed, on CD and Vinyl :roll:
gabo86
Hardhead

Post by gabo86 »

What's the third appearance of Propagate? Beside the Calendar and the Archives...(I miss something, but owning "just" the full-lenght album I MUST miss something)
Ross

Post by Ross »

It appears on a compilation. Can't remember which off hand.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Music for 3 Books shipping this week.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Copy came today. Nice booklet, montage of various old and new images, much like the books themselves. Some familiar, some I don't recognise.
Ross

Post by Ross »

CDs now on Bandcamp:

“The Music from Calendars compilation is now available to buy as a download and CD. We are very much hoping the vinyl will finally be in before the end of the month, sorry for the continued delay on this.”
Ross

Post by Ross »

Music for Calendars is an odd one, as most of us will have all the tracks, but obviously the sequencing is different. It plays enough like an album in its own right to be enjoyable, and yet the tracks are also part of other albums. So yeah, a bit of an odd one. Here's a breakdown of the differences:

Cuts the outro environment slightly short: Alertions, Artificial Placement of Emotion, Blacked Out Windows, Frozen Air, Memories of a Yesterday, Propagate

Adds a new outro environment: Commensalism (some reversed piano and field recordings), Near Field (uses the outro environment from Destination), Surrounding the Garden is a Fog (seaside field recording)

Effectively the same: Obscured by Dark Intervals, Riverbed

I'm credited in the liner notes for "data input" for my help with coming up with the tracklist.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

I actually do miss some of the tracks I really hoped would make it on the album - if I had to choose a 'best of' from the calendars 2017-2019 it would have been a quite different tracklist I'm afraid :) lots of the dark and brooding stuff on there, think I would have prefered the more melodic pieces.

But have to agree, it works quite well as an album of its own.
Magnificient Insignificance
Ross

Post by Ross »

A few of the brighter sounding pieces I suggested didn’t end up on there, I also tried to make it a representative selection rather than simply my personal favourites - otherwise it would just been all the melodic ambienty stuff.

For me, Frozen Air, Artificial Placement of Emotion and Surrounding the Garden is a Fog were the three absolute must-haves.