Environments 4 - clips now on Juno!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Re: Environments 4 - clips now on Juno!

Post by Dennis »

Yeah, it can also be heard on 'field of flowers'.
A lot of bird chirping is going on on that album, heh?
And on 'Wheel of life' that 'weird greek instrument' from the dead cities version of yage is back again.
Magnificient Insignificance
dubmasta
Ill Flower

Post by dubmasta »

Nmesh 1984 wrote:@Dubmasta & Ross... on the subject of Fibrillation - I kept thinking that main synth noise sounded so familiar - and then it occurred to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgDT7AqzLrw

Now drop the pitch a little...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrloyhzhrSk&ob=av2e

so true man, this is the same synth/sample pitched down a little. By the way guys, this gives me a chance to ask, do you know any other electronica band/artist recycling own samples so much? Those of you guys who make music, do you use same samples on more than one track? A long time ago i used to have this stupid idea, that it doesnt make sense using the same sample on various tracks. Later with FSOL i realised that its bullshit, but somehow this thing works great with FSOL mostly. what du think guys?
I had killed a man...a man who looked like me
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Plough is incredible. Why wasn't this on the album in place of Fibrillation?! Beautiful stuff.
Tito Lozano
Ill Flower

Post by Tito Lozano »

Ross wrote:Plough is incredible. Why wasn't this on the album in place of Fibrillation?! Beautiful stuff.
Yeah , and i see the lead glitch remember me to your "december" song from Purlieu ,Ross, the rest of song is awesome too,great piece, deserves more than be a bonus digital track.
Noisesurfer
Fsolboard
Not bad for a Human
darktrain
Tingler

Post by darktrain »

really enjoying the album...my favourites at the moment are 'the wheel of life','river delta','sun sets','fibrillation' and 'plough'....i find the whole album flows nicely until it gets to murmurations,like other members have said it doesnt sit right in the grand scheme of things but after this it gets back on track...For me a new fsol album with hints of older material sprinkled throughout and a definite success!!
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Listening again to E4 per headphones, watching another awesome sunset, smelling the fresh spring air after a little rain came down...

My favourite environments album so far. And NOT just because it´s new. I really think there are no weak spots on it. (Okaaay, I too could imagine vast landscape to be a LITTLE bit shorter, but that doesn´t count really.)
I even think that 'murmurations' is the highlight of the album. I absolutely love that saxophon and the sprinkling guitar
sounds. It definitely fits into the whole mood and flow of the album. And what´s really great about E4 is that it really sounds fresh, new and different with some very obvious AA/Yage influences. Unlike E3 and E2 with their strong 90ies-reminiscences this one now really sounds to me like 'the' new FSOL-album. You know that album that was rumoured about back in 2009 when tracks like 'Summer´s Dream' and 'Heart Sick Chord' came up on EBS-mixes and made us very curious about the direction the FSOL would take after their experiences with AA. And this album now just is it. At least for me.

Is there any chance that someone ouside this forum will notice that? I don´t know...
Magnificient Insignificance
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Agghhhhhh - this isn't a criticism of the album (as from what I've heard so far it's ace !) but fuckin' hell can they not rip their own albums properly :shock: - There's clicks between every single track on the digital release of the album which for an album like this which relies so heavily on perfect segues is a big issue.

Not sure Ross if you can get the info to the right parties but if you possibly can let them know that iTunes (well certainly the version they're using) is not setting the right encoding delay values (ENC_DELAY) on their mp3s which is causing the gaps/clicks. They need to use something like EAC ( http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) to generate more accurate rips.

Sorry, mini gripe over - I managed to get Boomkat to fix their mp3s as a result of my moaning, so I'm hoping this might work also :D

EDIT: And yay, got plough even though I just bought it. Album is amazing by the way, my favourite release of theirs for a bloody long time. Now if only I can get a non-clickly version ...
Ross

Post by Ross »

MP3s ripped in iTunes play perfectly in iTunes (which is why I didn't notice this issue on Safernoc and my remix album), but I've heard about these clicks from a few people now. I'll make sure somebody reads this. :)
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

You's a star ! :)
RazorJack
Open Loop

Post by RazorJack »

I received the cd today! :D

What an amazing album. After having listened to it twice in a row from start to finish, I have only had the tip of the tip of the iceberg. So dense, layered and detailed and yet retaining fantastic sound quality.
Now, a short break to make a big mug of coffee, and then back to exploring this masterpiece! :mrgreen:

One question: I bought my copy from Amazon.co.uk. Is there a chance for me to get that bonus track?
Ross

Post by Ross »

Probably not. Although it'll take the surprise away, I think it might be nice for them to advertise the bonus track on the website as it'll encourage more people to buy direct.
ronniedobbs
Expander

Post by ronniedobbs »

dubmasta wrote:
Nmesh 1984 wrote:@Dubmasta & Ross... on the subject of Fibrillation - I kept thinking that main synth noise sounded so familiar - and then it occurred to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgDT7AqzLrw

Now drop the pitch a little...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrloyhzhrSk&ob=av2e

so true man, this is the same synth/sample pitched down a little. By the way guys, this gives me a chance to ask, do you know any other electronica band/artist recycling own samples so much? Those of you guys who make music, do you use same samples on more than one track? A long time ago i used to have this stupid idea, that it doesnt make sense using the same sample on various tracks. Later with FSOL i realised that its bullshit, but somehow this thing works great with FSOL mostly. what du think guys?
yeah Jack Dangers of Meat Beat Manifesto as well. I think once producers have a big enough sound bank, the creative types like these they can manipulate enough they don't need to constantly seek new sounds.
play this backwards and you'll hear evil messages
ronniedobbs
Expander

Post by ronniedobbs »

received my eagerly awaited Environments 4 CD in the US today, and to my horror the CD case was crushed inside the package, and back sleeve was torn :(
play this backwards and you'll hear evil messages
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Damnit, was the CD ok though ?
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Gaz or maybe Brian seems to be uploading a series of videos of clips of the new album at the moment. A lot of it looks like it's taken from the Kinetica show so I'm guessing it's Gaz.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There may be more as they seem to be going up as I type.

I've been trying to find any kind of review online of the album but to no avail. Sadly there's just lots of people posting ways of downloading it without having to pay for it. Even YouTube has been flooded with copies of all the tracks.
I am the eye that looks within