It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:45 am


Archived 9 - out 5th October, and other upcoming releases

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

epitome

 

User avatar

Vertical Pig

  • Posts: 961
  • Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:18 pm

Re: Archived 9 - out 5th October, and other upcoming release

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 6:08 am

I'm a bit jealous of those of you who have heard the whole album, but I'm listening to Light, Plenary and Memories of a Yesterday on this dark morning and they all sound fantastic, so I can certainly imagine this being my favourite Archive(s/d) if the whole album is of this style/quality :)
Offline

Dennis

 

User avatar

Ill Flower

  • Posts: 498
  • Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Archived 9 - out 5th October, and other upcoming release

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 8:26 am

Definitely need some further listens, but it really seems like this archived release has no clear reminiscences of any 90ies FSOL-era, unlike the previous ones, where you could tell 'oh this is the Dead Cities-track, that is the early 90ies acid-inspired track... ' ,the whole album instead sounds almost entirely new. Really hard to tell if there is any 90ies stuff at all. Or if so, then it's obviously heavily reworked.

There are some familiar sounding bits and pieces here and there. 'Osaka Traveler' definitely lends some some sounds from Tokio Travels, but this also sounds completely "new" in style, without that early-nineties-feel of the original track.
Magnificient Insignificance
Offline

Rob

 

User avatar

Amoeba

  • Posts: 43
  • Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:56 pm

Re: Archived 9 - out 5th October, and other upcoming release

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 10:53 am

Just ordered so got the download version plus the vinyl only tracks. Had a listen of the whole album and i'm very impressed! No idea if this is really archived material or just new releases....no matters.

Without you it's meaningless.... with singing could have been an attempt to write the perfect acid synth pop melody of the century,, imho. Halfer! It's not from Lifeforms era but the DNA comes from there.... Top of the archive series anyway!
Offline

Ross

 

User avatar

Just a Fuckin' Idiot

  • Posts: 3453
  • Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: Archived 9 - out 5th October, and other upcoming release

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 11:57 am

epitome wrote:I'm a bit jealous of those of you who have heard the whole album

Yeah, it's still pretty disappointing CD purchases don't get a download and have to wait however long to get the album... could well be almost a week after ordering knowing what the post is like! Still I'm sure it'll be worth it, judging by the comments here!

As far as I'm aware, I think the bulk of the mid-'90s archives are about drained now, although I'm sure there are still tracks lying around. But earlier stuff (including a lot of initial Lifeforms ideas), sketches, and of course the past 20 years are all still ripe for plundering. So that probably explains the relative lack of the rich, squelchy 'classic' FSOL sound in 8, from what I'm reading 9, and probably future archives.
Offline

sigESANg5

 

User avatar

Amoeba

  • Posts: 37
  • Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: Archived 9 - out 5th October, and other upcoming release

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 12:35 pm

Dennis wrote:With the bonus tracks this album clocks about 70 minutes! Their fourth album in a row (not counting my kingdom) that's over 60 minutes long.


and a bit longer if you include this month's outtake from Archive 9 , 'Memories of a Yesterday'. :)
Offline

Dennis

 

User avatar

Ill Flower

  • Posts: 498
  • Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Archived 9 - out 5th October, and other upcoming release

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 2:01 pm

Oh, I totally forgot about this one. I must also admit that I still haven't booked for those calendar tracks. I think I will get them as a whole when the year is done, hopefully they will be available as a complete package then.
Magnificient Insignificance
Offline

mcbpete

 

User avatar

Not a clue

  • Posts: 1111
  • Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:25 pm

Re: Archived 9 - out 5th October, and other upcoming release

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 2:20 pm

Dennis wrote:I must also admit that I still haven't booked for those calendar tracks. I think I will get them as a whole when the year is done, hopefully they will be available as a complete package then.
Yeah that's what I do - It's a Christmas present to myself :D
Offline

Ross

 

User avatar

Just a Fuckin' Idiot

  • Posts: 3453
  • Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: Archived 9 - out 5th October, and other upcoming release

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 2:36 pm

I've only listened to this year's calendar tracks once each. I'll make a CD of it when it's complete and enjoy that as a nearly-new album.
Offline

ob8

 

Amoeba

  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:45 pm

Re: Archived 9 - out 5th October, and other upcoming release

PostFri Sep 28, 2018 11:19 pm

Just ordered the CD and received a download for 2 bonus vinyl tracks "Light" and "Plenary"

Light is fantastic and Plenary is pretty good also. Sorry that i am not as descriptive as some of you on here but i am sure these will go down well with everyone.
Offline

epitome

 

User avatar

Vertical Pig

  • Posts: 961
  • Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:18 pm

Re: Archived 9 - out 5th October, and other upcoming release

PostSat Sep 29, 2018 7:22 am

Ross wrote:I've only listened to this year's calendar tracks once each. I'll make a CD of it when it's complete and enjoy that as a nearly-new album.


Almost exactly what I did with last year's and am doing again this year... only I've listened to each track twice 8-)
Offline

epitome

 

User avatar

Vertical Pig

  • Posts: 961
  • Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:18 pm

Re: Archived 9 - out 5th October, and other upcoming release

PostSat Sep 29, 2018 7:27 am

Ross wrote:
epitome wrote:I'm a bit jealous of those of you who have heard the whole album

Yeah, it's still pretty disappointing CD purchases don't get a download and have to wait however long to get the album... could well be almost a week after ordering knowing what the post is like! Still I'm sure it'll be worth it, judging by the comments here!

As far as I'm aware, I think the bulk of the mid-'90s archives are about drained now, although I'm sure there are still tracks lying around. But earlier stuff (including a lot of initial Lifeforms ideas), sketches, and of course the past 20 years are all still ripe for plundering. So that probably explains the relative lack of the rich, squelchy 'classic' FSOL sound in 8, from what I'm reading 9, and probably future archives.


Yeah, I guess it would be nice if we got a download when we order the CD. Maybe an idea for future releases? It would be nice if FSOL could give us more time in the day too, so we have more opportunities to listen to it :)

From the email from FSOL:
"1988 to 2018 – 30 years of recorded history
Archived 9 brings further treats from the mammoth FSOL archives – this time ranging from early 90s right up to recent times."

So I guess there is at least *something* from the early 90s on there. It sounds like there isn't anything that sound obviously early 90s though, which is good. One slight niggle I've had with some of the previous archive releases is that the very early tracks don't fit in very well and spoil the flow of the albums.
Offline

Dennis

 

User avatar

Ill Flower

  • Posts: 498
  • Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Archived 9 - out 5th October, and other upcoming release

PostSat Sep 29, 2018 9:18 am

That's interesting. Would love to know which parts of the album originate from the early nineties. It's really somewhat hard to guess.

One thing about the cover, I think it does not quite fit the mood of the album - it looks great but there's is definitely something scary about it, whereas the overall mood of the album is rather mild and dreamy. A weird kind of dreamyness, a bit like the "Standing Ground" track from Archived 8 with some epic sounding peaks.

I would also agree that this is the strongest Archived-release so far.
Magnificient Insignificance
Offline

moxlox

 

User avatar

Spineless Jelly

  • Posts: 84
  • Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:52 pm

Re: Archived 9 - out 5th October, and other upcoming release

PostSat Sep 29, 2018 11:08 am

ob8 wrote:Just ordered the CD and received a download for 2 bonus vinyl tracks "Light" and "Plenary"

Light is fantastic and Plenary is pretty good also. Sorry that i am not as descriptive as some of you on here but i am sure these will go down well with everyone.


Is that all the additional vinyl tracks not on the CD?
Repetition Is A Form Of Change
Offline

Ross

 

User avatar

Just a Fuckin' Idiot

  • Posts: 3453
  • Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: Archived 9 - out 5th October, and other upcoming release

PostSat Sep 29, 2018 12:32 pm

Yup, just the two.
Offline

moxlox

 

User avatar

Spineless Jelly

  • Posts: 84
  • Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:52 pm

Re: Archived 9 - out 5th October, and other upcoming release

PostSat Sep 29, 2018 7:18 pm

I was going to order the CD and the vinyl to get the extra two tracks. So now only need to get the CD!
Repetition Is A Form Of Change
PreviousNext

Return to FSOL / AA Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron