My Kingdom re-imagined / Isness - Record Store Day release

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
fsolish
Hardhead

Re: My Kingdom re-imagined / Isness - Record Store Day relea

Post by fsolish »

My kingdom Re-Imagined is absolutely brilliant! Very very beautiful indeed, but I hear som digital clipping sounds throughout path 8 on the FLAC and MP3 download from fsoldigital.com :cry: Can anyone pass this on to the guys so they can make new files ? Ross? Pande?
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Weird is there any time code where it's particularly noticeable - The kick drum introduced at 1.02 has a definite 'click' to the attack but doesn't seem to be actually clipping, and the synth at 2.42 seems quite saturated but both I think could be mixing choices rather than mastering issues ... (could be wrong mind!)
fsolish
Hardhead

Post by fsolish »

Its on almost every kick drum throughout, if you open the FLAC file in audacity and zoom in you can actually see that it is a digital error.

Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Ok, upon first listen I would say a clear mixture of the classic 97' sound and the sound of the last few FSOL-releases from Env6,6.5 and AEV and a few hints on 'The Cartel'-AA here and there sample-wise. Very electronic and experimental sounding.

The whole album is mastered quite loud like it was already the case with Env 6/6.5 , but listening with speakers I had no special concern about hearing clipping sounds.

Not everything clicked with me instantly, further listens are necessary to fully sink in. Quite complex at times. Tracks 7 & 8 are brilliant. The two CD-bonus tracks definitely fit the end of the album more than those on AEV.

Edit: is it just me, or does the Vangelis-sample throughout Path 7 sound like it was replaced by an actual recorded singer?
Magnificient Insignificance
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Ok, on my third listen now, this is amazing. Turns out, the FSOL stuff which took me a few listens more to get into, appears as even their strongest stuff.

This thing is fucking brilliant. Incredible how they keep coming up with highest quality stuff all the time ☺
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

Dennis wrote:Edit: is it just me, or does the Vangelis-sample throughout Path 7 sound like it was replaced by an actual recorded singer?
I believe Rebecca Caine is credited, probably from the same sessions as 'Everyone in the World'.

I'm waiting for the CD to listen to this. It's so long since I actually waited for the physical to listen to a new FSOL album that I really fancy trying to recapture that.
Chris3d
Hardhead

Post by Chris3d »

I want to get the digital download, but I'm put off if there are errors in the encoded files. Does anyone know if there are indeed errors? And if so are they being fixed?
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Not sure if it's an error or not - It could be that the drum loop went through a transient shaper to emphasize the attack of the first kick in the 8-bar loop. I can see the same thing here (the sudden sample rise) but I don't think it's an encoding error as it seems too regular, maybe the original drum recording had this glitch and when looping it the glitch is repeated. The waveform artifact actually reminds me of the kind of thing I get when recording vinyl, maybe the boys 'pick-pocket'ed it ;)
Chris3d
Hardhead

Post by Chris3d »

Just downloaded it. I agree I don't think it's an encoding error. I hear the first kick like it is slightly misaligned with another kick and a slight click on the second one. It sounds off, but definitely think it's how it is supposed to be.
Ross

Post by Ross »

You'd think after all these years, they'd be trying to make The Isness a slightly less confusing release. But no, it seems several tracks on the new Abbey Road releases are unreleased versions, different to the 2002 Abbey Road mixes :lol: So now we have another version of the album!
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Yes, Meadows has about 30 seconds more on the new version, never heard before vocalizing.
Her Tongue is shorter without the orchestral intro.
There are few more differences, but the tracks that are the same, are 100% same, like, it's certain they come from the same studio and the same mastering.

But, to be clear, now we have:

2002 - The Isness (The Abbey Road Mispressed Version)
2018 - The Isness (The Abbey Road Version)

:)
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Differences:
Mello Hippo lacks the orchestral outro and doesn't segue into Goodbye Sky Reprise
Osho is an alternate version, almost a minute longer
Galaxial misses the 'I love you' outro
The whole outro of Divinity is very different
Her Tongue is Like a Jellyfish lacks the orchestral intro
Meadows features vocals and sounds from 'The Seasons Turn' in an extended outro

So that's six alternate mixes, three of which are longer, three of which are shorter. Plus:
Yes My Brother is missing
Go Tell it to the Trees Egghead is much later in the album
Ross

Post by Ross »

So, My Kingdom. That click is present on the CD version so it's not a FLAC encoding error. It's probably intentional, although it's a bit hard to listen to. The rest of Path 8 is bloody excellent though, best part of the record for me, along with Old Empire. It'll take a while to get used to I think, the mix of old and very familiar sounds with newer EMS/Halia-style FSOL and Amorphous psych hints. Time will tell, but it's definitely a strong one.

No Vangelis or Morricone in the credits, which explains why the flute in Path 7 sounds quiet / different - some kind of re-recording - and why the vocal is the Rebecca Caine take rather than the original sample (I wouldn't be surprised if they actually had her record that vocal melody back in 1996 in case they couldn't get the Vangelis sample cleared). I'm guessing they didn't have the money to license those samples out again, which is why they're recreated here. The Caine vocal is a bit jarring at first as it's quite different to the Hopkin one, but I'll probably get used to it over time.
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

After a few listens I very much prefer the Caine-vocals over the original now, it has that epic 'Everyone is doing...'-feel to it, and there are some cool reverb effects, like the echoing sounds on the original 'Everyone...'-track.

I especially love the oldschool-sounding of some of the tracks. I wonder how much material from the 90ies is used in this album, 'Populate' for example sounds very ISDN-like, can't quite place from which track the opening synth-growling sound is, it's definitely something from ISDN.
Rob
Tingler

Post by Rob »

Dennis wrote:After a few listens I very much prefer the Caine-vocals over the original now, it has that epic 'Everyone is doing...'-feel to it, and there are some cool reverb effects, like the echoing sounds on the original 'Everyone...'-track.

I especially love the oldschool-sounding of some of the tracks. I wonder how much material from the 90ies is used in this album, 'Populate' for example sounds very ISDN-like, can't quite place from which track the opening synth-growling sound is, it's definitely something from ISDN.
Yes! Said that 2 times on the fb group: Populate starts with processed bits from You're Creeping Me Out, and then Slider....so IS/DNa there ;)