FSOL Wiki

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Re: FSOL Wiki

Post by Pandemonium »

Puddle, is somehow fitting too :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

'The FSOL puddle' as Brian mentioned in (I think) the Freeze interview. A less flattering name for Yage.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Zeebox 3 (Heavily Involved in Mugs)
Monstrous Puddle 2: Pagans Love Vibrators

The Zeebox one was the last that I can turn to Pandemonium's thread for reference for. The MPB was already more difficult and the next ones will be just the same, agh!
Ross

Post by Ross »

Ross

Post by Ross »

Environmentalisations 3hree (really enjoyed this today - first time in ages, I went through a period of really struggling with it)
FTA6
Monstrous Puddle 3: Thora Hird's Ear (become my second favourite MPB CD behind Cosmic Space Music)
Heard Tangents?
Mechanisms Part 1 - enjoyed this for the first time ever today. I must be in a good mood.
Drift
Ross

Post by Ross »

Environment Four
FTA7 (always slightly sad about 'War Machines' being on here as it very slightly ruins the mood for me, otherwise it could easily be a standalone album rather than an Archive)
The Fears and Fantasies of the Unconscious Mind
Live in the Studio (Remixed) (Corrupted Souls on this is so good)
Beacon Tor (Soundtrack)
Neck of the Woods
Space Dive / Silent Sky
Ross

Post by Ross »

Today I did The Cartel trilogy:
The Cartel
The Cartel 2: Return of the Killer Cartel
The Cartel 3: Remixes in Space

And then a number of side-projects, other artists and library things:
BHT1 aka Signals
EMS Piano 1
Salient Moons
Stillness
BHT2
An Open Window
Glass Girl
Nu Psychedelia
Small Moves
When Can
Document #2
Ross

Post by Ross »

Busier day today so only time for these three:
Environments 5
Artworks 1
From the Archives Vol. 8

I haven't listened to Environment Five or Archived 8 in a couple of years and it was an absolute joy revisiting them, they're both bloody incredible.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Weirdly, I listened to Artworks 1 yesterday for the first time in a while.

Love E5, I think that must be due a listen soon too :)
Ross

Post by Ross »

I hadn't listened to E5 for ages - had quite a period of heavy listening to the '90s stuff and the more 'live' sound of E5 didn't really fit it so I was a bit down on the album for a while. Listening to it yesterday in context of the rest of their discography reminded me just how brilliant it is though.

Bit of an odd bunch today
Blackhill Transmitter 3
Drive
Psychsploitation (this is actually my favourite Cartel release, bizarrely)
Garden City
The Wizards of Oz
Life in Moments. That's such a good album. Trust FSOL to release something that good in a really limited number (I wonder how many copies of the book there are - can only have been a couple of hundred). I'll be covering the book tomorrow, although I'm not sure quite how to structure it!

I'm close to the end of the main discography now! 19 pages left with the links there now, and I've decided to expand a few other listings out to full pages of their own - the Prime World and Mushroom 11 soundtracks, the Syd Arthur album and the Ai album. Also need to update The Isness with stuff about the new Abbey Road mix, and there are a few previously unknown obscurities to reveal too.

And then next week it's on to live, transmissions & mixes.
Ross

Post by Ross »

A quick EP this morning: BHT4
Then on to four albums.
Blackhill Transmitter
Ignition of the Sun
Observation: these are the last things the band put out under alias. Literally everything since then - other than library music - has been FSOL. Which suggests two things:
1) the band are more comfortable being FSOL these days than they have in a long time
2) we're overdue an alias release

And then!
Environmentalism Part 6ix
Environmentalisations Volume Six Point Five
compiled as E6+
Also fucking hell, I just noticed the amount of positive reviews of 6.5 on Discogs. As a mood-piece I prefer the engulfing sinister nature of Six, and its atmospheric ties to the wider FSOLDigital catalogue, but I think 6.5 is the stronger standalone album of the two. It definitely feels like the next logical step after 4 and Five, with them reaching ever more epic and dynamic levels of sound.

The first few years of FSOLDigital were pretty exciting, with the first unheard electronic material in ten years, releases coming out of the blue, and incredible records like Environments 2, but I look back to 2007-2011 and, quality wise, it doesn't hold a candle to the stuff since then. Working on this wiki has given me the opportunity to properly look back and reassess this decade's music for the first time, and the hit-rate is really astonishing. I'm still not so big on The Cartel, but otherwise from 2012 we've had Environments 4, From the Archives 7, Environment Five, Archived 8, Life in Moments, Blackhill Transmitter, Ignition of the Sun, Environment Six, Environment 6.5, Archived : Environmental : Views and My Kingdom Revisited. Eleven incredibly different and all completely fantastic albums. I totally get why some fans felt underwhelmed by 2001-2011 material, but the last seven years have been as good as their Virgin years.
Ross

Post by Ross »

Jazzstep
The Research Remixed (by my reckoning their best library music collection)
2017 Calendar + album (I'm happy the album seems to have been left up for sale indefinitely - emphasises the fact that this really is a good album of its own)
A:E:V (some back end problems stopping me from using colons in URLs so the title has incorrect punctuation currently). Haven't listened to this in ages. Environmental is one of my favourite FSOL albums I think. I wish I could like Views as much as everybody else, but the mix of old and new doesn't sit right for me. The previously released tracks are so closely tied with their parent albums that they just sound wrong here.

I've also added three new sections to the main Discography page listing the few things I'll be working on in the next couple of days:
Soundtracks
Hardware
Unreleased & scrapped records
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

Yeah, from Environments 4 up to My Kingdom Re-Imagined it was a pretty flawless flow of superb albums, peaking imo with Environments 6/6.5. Still their masterpieces of post Dead Cities releases I think. Not a weak second on there for me.
Magnificient Insignificance
Ross

Post by Ross »

Seltrac
Ramblings 1
The SX-1 Live Improvisations
2018 Calendar (so far... where's May's track?!)
Ramblings 2
My Kingdom Re-Imagined

The main Dougans / Cobain discography is now complete! Going to fill the gaps with Ai, unreleased stuff and the two synths tomorrow.
Blu Mar Ten
Hardhead

Post by Blu Mar Ten »

i sneak a read of one article at work and get sucked down the rabbit hole. really dangerous, and brilliant.