The Isness (Abbey Road cut) on 180g vinyl

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

The Isness (Abbey Road cut) on 180g vinyl

Post by Ross »

The esteemed Automotive Association are proud to be reissuing the long-lost and never 'officially' released Abbey Road cut (i.e. mispressed version) of The Isness on 180g vinyl at some point in the not-tooooo-distant future.
Or so Brian says on Facebook...
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Re: The Isness (Abbey Road cut) on 180g vinyl

Post by mcbpete »

This 'mispressed' album popped up in my head t'other day - Was it an early demo version that got sent to the pressing company accidentally, did they express why they made such a big change to the running order/tracks themselves ?
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

I remember Gaz stated sth like the album had "too much masculine energy" in its original mix (aka the "abbey road" version).

I never quite understood how they managed to release the album with that mix "accidentally" with 1000 copies or so only in the US, and then as a different version in all the other countries. Quite confusing story. I hope some day Gaz will write a book about that time :)

Edit: where is the cd-rerelease?
Magnificient Insignificance
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

It was one of many, many versions of the album they did (more than 20, according to interviews at the time.) It was due for release, promos went out, the US label started pressing copies. Then they decided to change it (masculine energy and all that) and it all got pushed back by three months. The US label 'accidentally' released their 2,500 copies, i.e. they didn't want to scrap them so just sent them out without the band's permission.

The running order on the final mix is actually closer to the one that was announced on the official site in 2001 (then entitled Galaxial Pharmaceutical), so the Abbey Road version must have been a late '01/early '02 version of the album. It was mastered at Abbey Road, hence that name (also sounds better than 'mispressed version'). Gaz mentioned on Facebook last year sometime that he regrets pulling that version of the album as the mixes on there are superior, but he felt it wasn't the right version at the time - I think basically it was more electronic and punchier sounding and they were trying to get away from that as much as possible.

The really fun bit was when promo copies went out containing a different mix again (almost the same as the final version, but missing the title track and with a slightly longer version of Mello Hippo - I've been looking for a copy of this mix for ages!), only with the sleeves of the Abbey Road version, so all the reviews have the wrong titles etc.
ronniedobbs
Expander

Post by ronniedobbs »

I picked up the Abbey Road Ver on CD at Amoeba Records only in 2012, a full decade after release to realize what a superior mix it was. Would love this on vinyl.
play this backwards and you'll hear evil messages
moxlox
Tingler

Post by moxlox »

What we really want is a singular vinyl release with both versions, and a booklet explaining all the history in the mixes!! [yes, aka Beatles re-release style]
Repetition Is A Form Of Change
Rob
Tingler

Post by Rob »

Some news for the vinyl addicted :D

Had a short talk today with Brian and asked him how many copies of the standard vinyl unnumbered edition were made and he said 750. So, for the curiouses like me lol, the total run is 1750, 1000 of which on 180g vinyl numbered limited edition for the RSD2018.

So, the standard one is even more limited than the limited edition :D