A Monstrous Psychadelic Good Time.

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
xerkon
Hardhead

A Monstrous Psychadelic Good Time.

Post by xerkon »

I've been listening to FSOL since '94 and they are one of my top five favorite things in life. I had a whole new experience with MBP recently that some of you might get a kick out of. It was after having recently watched some episodes of Austin City Limits and I started to imagine that everything I was hearing was coming from the stage in that venue. In other words, picture a club or concert location that you know and then picture everything you are hearing coming at you live. At one point I actually laughed out loud because the type of band I had to imagine for the music I was hearing to make sense was utterly ridiculous! It's making me laugh right now. I see this group on the stage and the leader singer suddenly grabs the mic and shouts, "wanna get high, wanna get high!" It's the transitions that make this method of experiencing FSOL so fun. Don't know if this will be entertaining for anyone else but thought I'd share it anyway.
Concept
Tingler

Re: A Monstrous Psychadelic Good Time.

Post by Concept »

I've really grown into Amorphous Androgynous as the years have progressed. Although I'd heard Papua New Guinea before I first knew 'FSOL' for FSOL, I first got into them via Wipeout 2097 with We Have Explosive when I was in my early teens. I believe Gaz has some problems with that tune, but it allowed me to retrace their steps, starting with Dead Cities, ISDN, through to Lifeforms and Accelerator. It went from claustrophobic, to breathy, to a bit club-orientated (though you can see even with Accelerator they were eager to break free from the limitations that dance music can impose on the freedom for a track to explore).

Anyway, to retrace my own steps in all this, I was taken aback (as I suppose many were) when I first heard AA, as I hadn't heard any of the Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble mixes beforehand. Listening to The Isness you can hear the folky rock, and with The Cartel the dirty funk. I think both FSOL and AA inform one the other. If you listen to AA then you start to pick up more of the latter AA influences (post-Ephidrina) in their earlier work on re-listens with that forward knowledge in hand. Same with FSOL in examining how that style of electronica 'euphoric sadness' (a cheesy, catch all term almost as bad as 'neo-classical' or 'intelligent dance music/drum and bass') influenced some of the harder AA stuff. You can particularly feel AA's influence in Environments 5. It feels like a balanced fusion of both styles.

But yeah, it's the patchwork quilt philosophy (or that of the journey) to their work which is one of its strongest aspects. I love the sensation of going down a rabbit hole, and FSOL/AA/Yage offer that in spades.