FSOL:Digitana The SX-One Live Improvisations

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

FSOL:Digitana The SX-One Live Improvisations

Post by Ross »

AVAILABLE AS A DIGITAL DOWNLOAD (FLAC OR 320kbps MP3) ONLY

4 tracks – 45 mins in total – live improvisations using the FSOL:DIGITANA sx-1
Also includes 4 videos – filmed at the time of recording – showing the SX-1 in the recording chain
In addition a further 2 videos as a bonus
A pitch and tempo is decided, a timeline is peppered with hits and noises
These act as que markers to move the synth settings and sequences forward
A set of sequences were created and stored for random access
The main time generator is started and the result is recorded to 1/4” 15ips tape on a Nagra IVs

TRACKS
01 – Xertz (12:19)
02 – Opotograms (11:58)
03 – Origin Flows (5:12)
04 – Minimally Conscious (15:05)
Available from FSOLDigital.com...
OffLand
Ill Flower

Re: FSOL:Digitana The SX-One Live Improvisations

Post by OffLand »

This sounds amazing. I listened to the sound clips and was surprised by how melodic it was for live improvisations on the SX1. Will have to pick this one up.

Post by Ross »

There's definitely a focus on it, but it's not the only instrument on there.
It's bloody brilliant, anyway. I was lucky enough to hear Optograms a couple of months back and for a while feared it was just a SX-1 demo, so it's really wonderful to have a copy of it, one of my favourite FSOL tracks in a long time.
It'll never happen, but this album definitely makes me want a real FSOL gig at some point. If they can just line up a couple of racks of gear with some sequences and samples and improv like this around them then it'd be an absolute treat. Even for an ISDN performance... would probably prefer this to a 'hits' set like Athens/BLOC.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

WoooW
looks like 2017 is going for a record in released records :)

Optograms is bloody amazing - I told Brian that IT HAD TO be released on some official release - and his response was that it probably will be - and here it is ! :)

I also hope and dream of FSOL gigs - and I even think they will happen at some point, I'm kinda certain they will :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Wow, look away for five minutes and they drop another album and a bunch of videos. The samples sound very promising. Last time they dropped this much was 2007 I think wasn't it? Maybe they like years with a seven in it.
I am the eye that looks within
sigESANg5
Tingler

Post by sigESANg5 »

Quality stuff! Wow - another surprised journey ! Happy to end the year in high notes with this release :)
Ross

Post by Ross »

dell1972 wrote:Last time they dropped this much was 2007 I think wasn't it? Maybe they like years with a seven in it.
I dunno, last year we got the Blackhill Transmitter LP, two versions of the Synthi A album and two Environments albums...

Short clip of one of the videos included with this album.
OffLand
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

Still haven't picked this up but these are the some of the longest FSOL tracks since A Gigantic Globular Burst Of Antistatic.
Ill Flower

Post by OffLand »

Wow, that setup. There's a Halia in there too.. Exciting. Can not wait to watch the videos that come with the release!

Post by Blinker »

This really is excellent. I love everything they've put out this year. It's been great trying to keep up with it all.
fsolish
Hardhead

Post by fsolish »

Awesome stuff! Love it, I want more :D
ronniedobbs
Expander

Post by ronniedobbs »

cant seem the get the download link to worky. paypal receipt went thru, and received confirmation email, but download link just keeps taking me back to product page.

ah got it
play this backwards and you'll hear evil messages
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Post by mcbpete »

Ross wrote:I was lucky enough to hear Optograms a couple of months back and for a while feared it was just a SX-1 demo, so it's really wonderful to have a copy of it, one of my favourite FSOL tracks in a long time.
It really is a fabulous track, for some reason it reminds me of 'We Have Explosive (Pt. 5)' and like you I think this could well be my favourite FSOL track released in many many years.

Tell you what, these extended track times definitely do them a service - I've always felt that a lot of the Environment(s)(al)(ing) tracks finish well before they've made an impact on me and the tracks on this EP/Album really allow them to create their own fully formed ... well, for want of a better word - environment !
Ross

Post by Ross »

There are a lot of 2-3 minute pieces on the recent Environment albums, and although I still think they're great, I agree that sometimes they don't stay around long enough to fully immerse yourself in. Although they're not unique - cut out the opening environment/segue sections and a fair few Dead Cities tracks are only 3-4 minutes - they're definitely more prevalent than ever. These pieces really do envelop you a lot more. Hopefully there'll be more stuff like this on forthcoming albums. It does seem like certain aspects of one release influence the direction of the next, so maybe after working on this, that will hold over onto Environment 7.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Agreed - longer pieces are more immersive.
(there is a danger of them being boring if the immersion doesn't catch up - but this is a general remark, never happened to me with FSOL tracks)
You're doin' too much, do less.