Ramblings of a Madman - FSOL zine

Feel free to talk about anything and everything FSOL related in this board.
mcbpete
Far-out Son of Lung

Re: Ramblings of a Madman - FSOL zine

Post by mcbpete »

"We never knew the particulars , didn't need to , just knew that his head wasn't right , the rivers ran deep , court proceedings were afoot . His gripes were numerous" - Does anyone know what this was in reference to, with regards Mr Fripp ?
Dennis
Ill Flower

Post by Dennis »

EG records was the company where the King Crimson stuff was released up to the 80ies, I assume it was about getting hands on his back catalogue, copyright-issues and stuff. Since the early nineties Fripp releases on his own "DGM" label, it obviously was a long struggle since this was established. It´s documented in various liner notes from reissued King Crimson albums.
Magnificient Insignificance
sigESANg5
Tingler

Post by sigESANg5 »

We can now purchase ‘THE RAMBLINGS OF A MADMAN VOL.1 BOOK’ with several options!

http://www.fsoldigital.com/product/ramb ... ol-1-book/

Can’t wait to hear the EP!
Ross
Environmentalisations Se7en

Post by Ross »

This is volume one, a 96 page A6 full colour zine – text / images / stories
Created and produced by FSOL
The book includes a 20 min 5 track EP download (320kbps mp3) and comes in a SEALED metallically shielded anti static bag.
Also available is an optional unique one off A3 print (the original proof copies supplied to FSOL) – no two are the same – limited amount available.

Finally a hand screen printed hoodie is also available as part of the package. Available in Medium, Large and XLarge.

EP TRACKLISTING:
01 – Viewed From Outside
02 – The Whispering Masses
03 – Orrery
04 – Fracti
05 – Episode
All tracks written by Dougans/Cobain except track 3 by Pemberton/Dougans/Cobain
Not too much to go for then!
Ross

Post by Ross »

Viewed From Outside - Continues the in the typical 'Viewed' vein, moody modern classical piece, piano, strings, field recordings. Like peering out into gradually clearing mist.
The Whispering Masses - Dark breaksy piece, quite unlike the recent Environments tracks, reminds me of a lot of the calendar tracks. Quite good.
Orrery - Stunning twinkly synth piece. This deserves a more prominent home than a semi-obscure EP like this, absolutely incredible track.
Fracti - Sinister IDM with computer game bleeps. Somewhere between Dead Cities and Env 6. Great energetic piece.
Episode - Abstract ambient / sound collage piece to close things off.

Enjoyed all five of those tracks a lot, probably my favourite of all the bonus EPs to date. I really need to get around to burning a CDr with all these download-only exclusives we've been getting in recent years, there's so much great material.
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

This looks very tasty... just need to decide if I need the print or not.

Any idea how many volumes there will be of this?
Ross

Post by Ross »

Ross wrote:volumes 1-10
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

Ah, yes, thanks, as mentioned about 3 times at the start of this thread. Oops :oops:
Ross

Post by Ross »

Just learned - the 8-bit synth on Fracti is a Pocket Operator.
The exact model used was gifted to me by the band for my birthday this year - here's me playing around with it.
fsolish
Hardhead

Post by fsolish »

Wow, that is very cool man ! :)
Ross

Post by Ross »

Way too much to comment on from this book, but I'm really happy to say that all the new stories read like those on the old EBV website from the '90s - Gaz's oddly punctuated first person tales, complete with Yage, Stakker, Pinn, Bugz and the whole crew involved (to this day I still don't really know who is who). It's nice to revisit a handful of tales from that site and the old 2001-era store as well. Plus the usual image collages that continue to expand the FSOL visual universe. Overall, it's a wonderful hour or so's read and a nice addition to the FSOLDigital book range.

Some notable moments:
Disc artwork for From the Archives Vol 9 (back to the 1-7 title stylings, it seems)
What looks like a very early tracklist for Lifeforms (a single disc, 13 track version), particularly interesting for the inclusion of 'Bring Me Home'
Handwritten credits for some Zeebox tracks
A fax from Tangerine Dream regarding a remix
epitome
Elaborate Burn

Post by epitome »

I haven't received the book yet, but looking forward to it.

I have been really enjoying the EP. Along with listening to FTA7, I'm having a good FSOL time at the moment. FTA7 reminds me a lot of ISDN and, unbelievably for the 7th volume of previously unreleased material, I would say the quality is about as good too.
The only track on the Ramblings EP that I'm not totally loving so far is the third one, but maybe it will grow on me.
Ross

Post by Ross »

FTA7 is the best of the series, I think. It's certainly the one that comes closest to being a standalone record. If you took out the two previously known tracks (War Machines and Tudor Oak, or whatever it was renamed to), I reckon it'd be very easy to believe that it was all newly recorded material.
Pandemonium
Pale Moon

Post by Pandemonium »

Amazing tracks !

Fracti does seem a bit out of place, but the rest tie in so effortlessly :)
You're doin' too much, do less.
dell1972
Spineless Jelly

Post by dell1972 »

Great EP, only listened to it once so far but it was lovely sounding. Also, I've just been handed a small but weighty package here at work; the actual fanzine itself. There's a lot in there, it's a very attractive glossy little package. I'll look forward to reading it. So there'll be ten of these? I wonder if each gets an EP, that'll be quite a collection.
I am the eye that looks within